Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 26th, 2016, 10:25 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just bought my yoder ys640 over the weekend and am now in need of some pellets. I have had traeger pellet cookers in the past and still have a junior traeger that i take camping and have always used the traeger pellets. I am have heard that no all pellets are created equal. What pellets are you guys using and what pellets should i stay away from.

Thanks

January 26th, 2016, 10:28 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

BBQr Delight! Great burning and great flavor. Seem to be reasonably priced as well!

http://www.atbbq.com/fuels/wood-pellets.html

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
January 26th, 2016, 11:36 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I have pretty much tried them all. My preference is Lumberjack. I would stay away from Red Devil, Traeger, Green Mountain. Most of the others would be middle of the road except BBQ Delight that would come in a close second to the LUMBERJACK..

Milts were also very good but at this point almost impossible to find. Cooking Pellets and Pacific Pellets would be the next tier. Remember most of these are subjective but I think the general consensus would be Lumberjack and BBQ Delight 1A and 1B and once again very subjective.

January 26th, 2016, 12:59 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

At the factory, all development, programming, testing and cooking is done exclusively using BBQR's Delight pellets.

Yoder_Herb
January 26th, 2016, 1:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

so I am seeing 2 companys that have them but they are different packaging, one is from pine bluffs arkansas looks like the manufacturer and other is wichita kansas which looks like is from all things bbq. Is it the same pellet with just different packaging or is one comp grade vs back yard bbq? Price is $45 per bag compared to $15?

January 26th, 2016, 2:14 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Really not sure what you are asking. ATBBQ is a distributer of BBQR's Delight pellets. They offer single 20 pound bags, 3 20 pound bag bundles, 1/2 pallet and full pallet of 20 pound bags, and the prices are listed accordingly.

There are 2 "products" the small bags of flavor wood pellets used in smoke generators or foil pouches, and the 20 pound bags of cooking pellets.

Yoder_Herb
January 26th, 2016, 3:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

ok thanks i must have missed that part.......

January 26th, 2016, 10:21 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

LumberJack and Q pellets are good mix pellets. Oak/maple/apple mix for example. Oak is good BTU's and ad the maple and apple for the flavor.

They make a mix for beef and one for chicken/pork. It's what I can get here and then I use pure pellets for flavor profiles. Sometimes I add maple, cherry, or apple to a tube smoker for a bit diff flavor.

For example, using pure pecan pellets gives a sweet flavor but the BTU output of pecan is less, so you use more pellets. It's why I like the mix ones.

Owens BBQ also has diff pellets, and the mix like I mentioned.

August 28th, 2016, 12:02 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What's best for someone that wants a heavier smoke profile on / in Brisket? Mixes sound interesting (not used my soon to be mine pellet smoker yet). Oak, Hickory, cherry blend?

Large Egg (Late 1970's, handed down from Grandfather), BGE Mini, O.C. Wrangler Offset, Soon to be owner of a YS 480 (Nov. 2012 build), and an LSG IVC on order.
August 28th, 2016, 12:25 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The Yoder pellet cookers give you the perfect transparent light blue smoke, the same as a well managed offset wood cooker does. It is impossible to get the dense whitish smoke like that of an ill managed fire in an offset wood cooker.

Those that want a denser dirty smoke use a smoke generator to mimic a poorly managed fire in an offset wood cooker. Doing this puts unburned wood solids on your food, creates a heavy creosote buildup inside the cooker and can cause the end product to taste bitter and like creosote.

I have never had any issues or complaints from using a 50/50 mix of BBQR's delight pecan and cherry.

640 brisket.JPG

Yoder_Herb
August 31st, 2016, 6:58 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Who's done a brisket with ONLY Mesquite pellets?? I want to try it.

Large Egg (Late 1970's, handed down from Grandfather), BGE Mini, O.C. Wrangler Offset, Soon to be owner of a YS 480 (Nov. 2012 build), and an LSG IVC on order.
September 1st, 2016, 8:52 am
Site AdminSite Admin

You will find that for short cooks, mesquite works well, but for longer cooks, mesquite might not be a good choice. Like apple, mesquite tends to have much more residual ash when burned, with the mesquite being the worst of the two.

My suggestion is to be very vigilant to the affect of ash buildup on long cooks with mesquite, as this can lead to issues with performance and potentially a burn grate full of ash, creating a potential for a snuffed out fire and an auger burn back.

Yoder_Herb
September 25th, 2016, 5:44 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Herb is there a special technique to getting a thick smoke ring on your brisket like this pic you posted? Mine never comes out this thick. I use BBQers Delite Hickory on all my Brisket cooks, would adding a 50/50 blend using cherry maybe or injecting first which ive never done?

Pitmaster_Rick
Proud owner of a YS640
September 25th, 2016, 7:48 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Adding cherry will enhance the color for sure.

There will never be a smoke ring where there is fat covering the meat. I trim all surface fat and silverskin off the meat. I do not season the meat until I am ready for it to go on the smoker. The meat comes out of the frig, gets seasoned, and goes right on the smoker.

Yoder_Herb
September 25th, 2016, 8:46 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Do you trim the fat cap completely off as well?

Pitmaster_Rick
Proud owner of a YS640
September 25th, 2016, 8:56 am
Site AdminSite Admin

All of it. Anywhere the meat isn't bare, there will be no smoke ring.

I also separate the flat and point and cook individually.

Some will not like the way this turns out. You will have to try it and see. The best oart, you can do whatever you like.

Yoder_Herb
September 25th, 2016, 9:24 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

As always Herb thank you for your advise and expertise

Pitmaster_Rick
Proud owner of a YS640

Return to Pellet