Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
December 31st, 2018, 10:36 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I finally graduated from a stick smoker to a YS480! First timer on a pellet grill so I'm still getting used to how it works. Did my first cook yesterday. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I never saw any smoke come from the unit for the entire 3 hour cook. And there was no smoke flavor to the meat at all. Tasted no different than if it were cooked in an oven. But I did hear pellets dropping in the burn box and the level did go down so obviously it was burning. Any suggestions?

December 31st, 2018, 10:39 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

This may help: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1365

Yoder_Herb
December 31st, 2018, 12:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I did read that Yoder_Herb. But thing is I never even got an odor of smoke. I even stuck my face near the chimney and couldn't smell any smoke at all. My buddy who has a 640 says he gets constant blue smoke during his entire cook. Wondering if there is something wrong with mine

December 31st, 2018, 12:40 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If the cooker is functioning as it should, i.e., holding temperature, then you might want to evaluate the fuel that is being burned. Coming from a stick burner, you are no longer in control of the "fire", and do not have the ability to "dirty" up the smoke output of the pellet cooker. We do not have any adjustments to "dirty" up the output, as the cooker was designed to provide the same clean smoke output of a properly run Yoder stick burner.

Yoder_Herb
December 31st, 2018, 3:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Aha....I am using Lumber Jack pellets which the dealer gave me when I purchased the Yoder. I assume that's as controversial a topic as which oil is best to use in my car. lol

December 31st, 2018, 3:38 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Just like your car, the cooker won't perform with degraded fuel. I was not criticizing your choice of fuel or oil, just giving you some input. We talk to thousands of owners around the world, and have a very extensive database of causes and effects. We do not make guesses as to what a problem might be, but rather request a formal contact to our customerservice@yodersmokers.com email where we may ask for your personal information and log your issue, without jeopardizing your private information on a public forum.

The pellet cooker is designed to only produces the most transparent light blue smoke.

Yoder_Herb
January 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the feedback Herb I certainly am not complaining about my unit. I love it actually. Just a new learning curve and trying to understand it all. I love the fact that there are so many variables to this pellet smoking thing vs my old stick burner. That's what is going to make cooks so fun on it.

January 2nd, 2019, 2:01 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hang in there! First observations and comparisons will soon go by the wayside...throw them out the window.

When first starting your pit is as clean as a whistle. There is nothing wrong with your choice of pellets. Comparing a stick burner to a pellet pooper is definitely apples to oranges (kinda like comparing your two best girlfriends) and there are advantages to both.

Best advise is to not overthink the pit and let it do its thing. Enjoy!

Return to Introduce Yourself