Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 19th, 2018, 2:51 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I'm finding that I have to remove grates quite frequently. My smoker is fairly new, so the grates haven't accumulated a lot of grease and smoke, but they will soon. Where do you guys set them when you remove them? Looking to see if anybody has a good idea for ways to store the dirty grates without getting grime all over the place when you need them out of the way for a bit.

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!
April 19th, 2018, 3:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
April 19th, 2018, 5:46 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I see a number of people have gone out and bought one of the outdoor poly cabinets at Home Depot. The kind to put hoses and that kind of things in. Pretty sure they have a small one roughly 3-4' high and 2 feet wide but not all that deep. Many use this to store their pellets, cooking tools and whatever else they can get in one of them.

I am lucky enough to have a sink with under cabinet that I store everything in. Works perfect for me!

April 19th, 2018, 7:47 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

westhemess1 wrote:I see a number of people have gone out and bought one of the outdoor poly cabinets at Home Depot. The kind to put hoses and that kind of things in.

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for long-term storage. I keep all the GrillGrates and factory grates in the grill when I'm not using it, so they are available with no hassle. Just looking for something to set the grates on when cleaning it or cooking on it. For example, when I follow Yoder_Herb's reverse sear process, I remove all the factory gates before start up. Gotta put them somewhere. Then when I get ready to sear, I have to remove the upper shelf and the diffuser door. Gotta put em somewhere. I'm thinking about getting a silicon mat that fits the shelves. That'd be easy to throw in the dishwasher after the cook and also handle the heat if something that is set on it is hot.

Here's one that I think would work for the end shelf. May have actually seen this in somebody's post on this forum. Haven't seen one to fit the front shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0Z2IS0/?c ... _lig_dp_it

April 21st, 2018, 12:16 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey, I kinda like that but seems a little small. Might be decent enough for the grates but the diffuser would hang over. Wish they made a bigger one!

All that being said, I might get one of those for a kamado grill table that I am building. Thanks for the link.

April 21st, 2018, 1:07 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Lay on a piece of cardboard? Lean against the wall?

May 10th, 2018, 3:28 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Here's what I finally decided on using. It was on sale at a local Menards, and after rebate it cost me about 20 bucks. It's made of aluminum, so I can put a hot second shelf or grill grate on it without worry. It's also "weatherproof" and folds up for easy storage.

I haven't learned how to reduce the size of a photo on a MacBook Air, so you'll have to use your imagination until I do. It's a workbench that's about 2 feet tall and 4 feet long.

June 12th, 2018, 8:50 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a comp cart with a lot of wasted space under it. Someday I want a drawer on the left side to store this stuff. I'm a woodworker not a metalworker so if someone does this, I'd appreciate a copy of your drawings or pictures. If that goes well, how about a drawer for the drip bucket too? On windy days the grease lands on my patio.

Return to Pellet