Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 9th, 2018, 8:46 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just did the burn in on my new 640 this weekend. When I opened it up upon completion of the process I noticed there was a large amount of ash blown all around the inside of the smoker. the bottom was completely covered in a heavy layer of ash and the grates had a fair amount of ash on them as well.
As I am new to the pellet smoker world I am not familiar with exactly how each part is supposed to function. From what I understand there are two fans. It sure seems that it is very forceful amount of air blowing in there but maybe that is normal. The force of air coming from the stack also seems to be quite high in pressure but again maybe that is normal. I assume that these fans are not variable speed controlled since it never sounds as though the fans slow or speed up at all. Looking for any input on this or something that can be done to prevent the ash from covering my food.
I am using Lumberjack pellets
The day I did this it was mid to low 40's with a light 5 mph wind
It is getting the thin blue smoke.
I even notice the ash outside of the smoker on the shelves a little bit.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments
Ash.jpg
This is after 1-1.5 hour burn at 350 deg
April 9th, 2018, 10:48 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Not too bad, there is always ash. How much? You get more on hotter cooks, 350 is towards the high temp for smoking. The fan speed is constant. Were you cooking without the diffuser or do you have the two piece and had it open to grill? If so a lot more pellets get used since the smoker is constantly feeding pellets.

I never had a problem with ash, the only time I got any up on the food was when I did grilling methods without the diffuser removed or the panel on the two piece diffuser.

And then it wasn't much.

It's just the burn in, give it some cooks.

Most of us have a small vacuum from Home Depot etc, like the 2.5 gallon size.

Smoke around the edges? Sometimes yes. You can buy the nomex tape seal kit they sell or just buy it on A.

April 9th, 2018, 11:18 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I had the whole two piece diffuser in place. And I did get one of those vacuums to keep it all clean. Just seems odd to me.

April 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yea, I think you need the inside goop buildup that helps. Cook a few pork butts to really break it in!

The bottom of the smoker and sides will build up and probably stop the bit of fly ash you saw.

I don't remember my burn in, my 640 will be 5 in Oct this year. I do know when you grill with the two-piece door open you will get some ash, but it isn't enough to cause any issues.

April 9th, 2018, 2:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
April 10th, 2018, 1:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I agree with Conumdrum. I have had my 640 for a little over a year and, as I have put some grease through it, I have noticed the stray ash has diminished greatly. I was in the same boat as you with my initial burn in....worried that my meat would have an unwanted "texture". Hasn't materialized.

April 11th, 2018, 10:22 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Looks like mine, don't think you have any worries.

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!
May 31st, 2018, 1:51 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Think you’ll be fine. My 640 burns much more cleanly than my GMG.

Return to Pellet