Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
November 21st, 2016, 7:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm doing a couple of pork buts on my YS640. Just bought the thermal blanket too.

I've been having trouble with the temperature going up over 100 degrees. I cleaned the temp probe, put the lid over the burn grate and firebox from grilling mode, switched out the grill grates for the smoker ones.

I went to the store and the smoker was at 250 or so, programmed at 225. I am using the Thermoworks Smoke for probe and ambient checking. I came back 40 minutes later and smoker was reading 390 and pork buts were starting to split. Too much heat too fast! So I ran it down to 150 and spritzed the meat to add moisture and let some of the heat out.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am using the Amazen tube smoker for applewood flavor as well. I'm cooking with the good pellets that came with the grill as well.

EDIT (Update) The smoker has been set for 150 for the past hour and is still hitting temps of over 300.

November 21st, 2016, 9:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
November 22nd, 2016, 8:10 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm familiar with that but haven't had a spare 2+ hours to devote. This unit already had electrical problems and I replaced a bad igniter.

I noticed last night that the temp sensor that is mounted high above the firebox has a kink or two in the wire. Could this be causing the problem?

November 22nd, 2016, 8:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Also, I didn't' get the external temperature display so I was trying to figure out how I could do this test. If I can use my ambient probe, where should I place it? Close to the one for the unit on the far left side?

November 23rd, 2016, 10:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Well I can't trust the Yoder for the big smoke tomorrow with the crazy flux in temperature. Going to have to go with the old reliable Weber Smokey Mountain. Hopefully I can get this all sorted before the ham on Christmas! Had to use my gas grill with an Amazen tube smoker to do the mac and cheese for a family get together today.

November 24th, 2016, 10:09 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Unfortunately, we can't help without data or information to help you troubleshoot. We are available to help when you have the time to do the temperature test and provide us with the results.\

Here is the list of things we check for temperature issues: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Temperature%20Issues%20Check%20List.pdf

Here is the temperature verification test, please do this exactly as stated: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Yoder%20Pellet%20Temperature%20Test.pdf

Here is our best practices for getting the most out of your cooker: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Recommend%20procedure%20for%20starting%20up%20a%20Yoder%20pellet%20cooker.pdf

Yoder_Herb
November 26th, 2016, 11:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I've got some time today so hopefully with the data we can get it figured out. I wasn't sure what "external" temperature probe meant. So I'm taking air temp outside, lid temp from a dial thermometer that is mounted in the lid, and an ambient temperature probe located on the grate as instructed. I appreciate all the help!

November 26th, 2016, 2:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Okay, I followed all the instructions and have attached the full report. This grill really has some problems. The computer isn't getting the message that target temp has been reached! I've blown through so many pellets just trying to cook and I think that I burned out my ambient temperature probe. Hopefully this will be enough to sort things out!

Attachments
Yoder Pellet Temp Test 11-26.jpg
November 26th, 2016, 7:26 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

You have something wrong. With that info they will set you right.

November 27th, 2016, 7:12 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb has already been working with me. It has been diagnosed needing a new thermocouple and controller. Never doubted this company's service. Once a need has been clearly identified, the work fast to make it right.

December 3rd, 2016, 5:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I installed the parts successfully. The temperature probe could have had a longer cable though! I haven't gone low and slow yet but I did do some grilling this evening. I'm concerned because it is still increasing the temperature without ever getting leveled out. I verified that the external temp of the probe was higher than the set temperature. It also shut off during the pre-heating. There were still flames so I was able to get it useable for tonight.

What am I missing? Is it supposed to be behaving like this? Does it know that it is in a higher temp grill mode so it just keeps cranking the heat? Or is there something still messed up?

December 3rd, 2016, 6:04 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
December 3rd, 2016, 6:05 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

As a verification, the thermocouple wires looked like this after you attached them to the controller, correct?

thermocouple connection.jpg

Yoder_Herb
December 4th, 2016, 7:35 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:As a verification, the thermocouple wires looked like this after you attached them to the controller, correct?

thermocouple connection.jpg

WE HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! I connected everything the way that it listed in the instructions for the most part but took pictures of all the wires so I would make sure to get them exactly like I found them. After looking at your picture, I noticed the red and white wire were not in that order in my original controller, and because I connected it the same way, it is still just like that. Hopefully this will solve everything.

April 5th, 2017, 3:48 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

i just did my first cook after the break in process and i set it at 375 and it kept rising to 425-435 is this normal?

April 5th, 2017, 4:56 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, within the first 30 minutes after pushing the START button.

Yoder_Herb
March 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Is it advisable ever to clean the temperature sensor inside the grill? Mike appears a little caked with soot, and I am wondering if that is interfering with accurate temperature reads, or causing a delayed response to temperature variations.

If it is ok or advisable to clean the sensor periodically, what is the recommended method?

Thanks!

March 24th, 2020, 9:07 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, you will want to clean the thermocouple inside your grill often. This will prevent any substance from building up on the thermocouple that may cause improper temperature readings. I simply wipe down the thermocouple every 2-3 cooks. If the thermocouple has a thick layer of soot that has hardened, you may use a scotch brite pad to gently clean the buildup.

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration