September 3rd, 2014, 3:44 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Created this sauce for some baby back ribs this weekend and it was quite a hit. Know that everyone has their own secrets when it comes to sauces and rubs, but I'm happy to share this one. Hope you like it! You can easily double or half the recipe, depending on how much you wish to make. I could have easily halved this recipe for the 4 racks of ribs we smoked, but volume obviously depends on your own usage/taste.

Ingredients
    2 cups cider vinegar
    2 cups Heinz ketchup (editorial...I used organic because I don't use anything w/ HFCS in it...)
    1 cup blackstrap molasses (unsulphured)
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
    2-3 tablespoons of toasted peanut oil (the "toasted" peanut oil imparts a stronger peanut taste than regular peanut oil)
    1/2 large sweet onion, finely diced (or a whole if you want more onion flavor coming through)
    2 med-large garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    3 tablespoons Tobasco Chipotle Hot Sauce (plus more, to taste)
    1-2 tablespoons of ground mustard
    1/3 cup of Whole Foods store-ground Honey Roasted Peanut Butter
    kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorns, to taste

Directions
    Add olive and peanut oils to medium size, heavy sauce pan. Let oil heat up until a drop of water sizzles in it. Add diced onions and a pinch or two of kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorns. Saute for several minutes until they move past the translucent stage and are just beginning to brown. Add garlic just as onions start browning and cook for a couple of minutes longer until onions and garlic have no raw/sharp/bitter flavor left and are getting some color. Deglaze pan with cider vinegar and stir to get any brown bits off bottom of pan from onions and garlic. Add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire, Tobasco (I would really encourage that you use the Chipotle for this sauce but your call), ground mustard and peanut butter. Stir well with wire whisk to fully incorporate all ingredients and bring to a simmer. (Do not let it come to a hard boil.) Simmer for 15 to 30 minutes until all ingredients begin to meld and continue to reduce it until it reaches your desired viscosity (thickness). Remove from heat and pulse with either an immersion blender or Vita Mix to eliminate any chunks from the onions, garlic and peanut butter. (This is optional. You can leave whole if you like a sauce with pieces of garlic and onions present.) If you don't have an immersion blender or Vita Mix, I would recommend letting the sauce cool to room temperature and then puree it in a regular blender or food processor until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt, pepper and tobasco to meet your preferred taste profile.

Editorial side note: As the recipe is listed above, with only 3 TBSP of Chipotle Tobasco, the heat does not come through the sauce as strongly as I would like it..so I just added some more on my own directly to the ribs. Unfortunately, our guests "don't really like spicy food." (Time to get new friends... :) )...So, I made some jalapeno and serrano infused margaritas to go w/ those tasty ribs and jacked up rib sauce! (Margarita recipe to follow.)

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

This recipe is protected by copyright and is the property of TennesseeJed (feel free to pm me for addt'l info), who is furnishing the recipe for use by Yoder Smokers Community Forum members for their own personal, home use only. The recipe may not be used for competition or commercial purposes, nor reproduced in writing or used in any commercial way without explicit, advanced written permission from the owner.

Last edited by TennesseeJed on September 3rd, 2014, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
September 3rd, 2014, 3:46 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Thanks for the recipe!

Yoder_Herb
September 3rd, 2014, 5:48 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

There is a lot of unique stuff in there. The peanut butter really has my interest.

September 3rd, 2014, 6:41 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Thanks Kirby. Hope some folks give it a try. I acknowledge it's not for everyone's palate, and it doesn't work on everything, but it's one of my favorites for ribs. First had peanut butter in a bbq sauce at a BBQ joint in Maryland 30 years ago and have been in love ever since. This is pretty subtle peanut flavor in this sauce. If you like it and want it more strongly flavored, then you can always add more. For these ribs, I rubbed them w/ a thin layer of molasses and then used a good layer of Dizzy Dust for a rub. Smoked for 3 hours at 225 and then another 2 in foil in the oven w/ a bit of cider vinegar and apple juice. Another spritz of vinegar and apple juice w/ a very, very thin layer of sauce and finish on the grill for a minute or so on each side. Served w/ sauce on side (of course...) Just finished the last few bones for lunch today and still as good as Monday night! Layers of flavor were nice!

Return to Rubs and Sauces