Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
January 5th, 2017, 7:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello All,

I've been sitting on the fence for years and today I pulled the trigger on my first pellet grill (YS640). I've been using a Traeger on and off for the past year but wanted something made in the USA. I purchased my grill from Sam's NW BBQ Company in Sherwood, Oregon.

I generally cook baby back ribs, St. Louis ribs, tri-tip, pork shoulder, sausages, chicken and rib steaks. Looking forward to trying brisket and perfecting my rib recipes. I recently started making my own BBQ sauce. It's spicy with a molasses flavor and a sweet finish. I also have a dry rub I like to make. I like to mix it up a little by varying between saucing while cooking and serving dry with sauce on the side. I know, I'm totally extreme. Sometimes I even run with scissors.

I am looking forward to learning this grill and discovering new ways to enjoy good ol' BBQ.

Here's to some great winter grilling in 2017!

Regards,

Carl

January 5th, 2017, 8:04 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *
January 5th, 2017, 10:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Yoder_Herb
January 6th, 2017, 12:02 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Starting the burn off and then I'm smoking a 2-bone rib roast and some chicken. Going with mesquite. The brand of pellets my local dealer sells are Pacific Pellets from Redmond, Oregon. Has anyone tried these? I am used to using Traeger.

January 6th, 2017, 1:25 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

The Pacific Pellets in my opinion are slightly better than traeger but lag way behind BBQ Delight and Lumberjack. I live outside of Seattle and prefer the Lumberjack for price and quality as I usually buy by the ton. The Pacific have decent flavor but seem to be a little high on the ash content afterwords as well as an over abundance of dust at the end of the bag. For me the ton price is less than Pacific and way less than the BBQ Delight.

If you have been using the Traeger you will be happy as both Pacific and Traeger are from your general area and are somewhat similar in quality of smoke and pellets. Enjoy...I too started with a Traeger! From the first cook on you will be amazed with the difference in your cooks.

January 6th, 2017, 1:53 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The Pacific Pellet Gourmet blend is a better performing pellet, but not nearly as good as BBQR's Delight.

Unfortunately, Pacific Pellet uses alder as a base wood and like lumberjack, includes bark in their pellets. BBQR's Delight does not have bark and is oak based for high BTU consistent heat.

Yoder_Herb
January 8th, 2017, 11:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try those brands. So far I've done a two bone rib roast, a sausage roll, two chuck eye steaks and a track of baby back ribs. All with the oak/alder blend.

Everything has turned out awesome!

I'm thinking of trying to order a brisket for next weekend. Do they have brisket at Costco?

January 9th, 2017, 11:42 am
Site AdminSite Admin

All of the Costco store that I have been in carry briskets.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Introduce Yourself