Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
August 30th, 2014, 3:51 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What is the preferred choice, Lump or Briquettes. The Lowes store has a really good price on briquettes and I was going to stock up if they work well to get your fire started

August 30th, 2014, 6:08 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I posted the video and addressed this topic. Lump will burn hotter and be all natural as opposed to the soft wood and chemical compound that is found in many briquettes. The smell of briquettes impart an odd flavor on food IMO, so I avoid it. If it's an all natural briquette like Wicked Good Weekend Warrior that has no additives, then you would be fine. But as a general rule, use lump.

viewtopic.php?p=609#p609

September 2nd, 2014, 11:26 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

For me I only use charcoal to start my fire then burn wood only. I agree with Yoder Kirby if you are going to cook primarily on charcoal. I have started using Kingsford Competition to start my fires but only because it seems to heat up faster. It supposedly has no fillers/chemicals so it burns more like lump but is pressed into a briquette. Not a real advantage for what I use it for but if you were cooking on only charcoal the briquettes are more uniform and predictable in btu output. I have used lump but I have noticed a LOT of variation in quality of lump. I use the Big Green Egg charcoal in my Egg but it's pretty pricey to use for just starting fires so I don't put it in my pit. I have bought some 'lump' at Sam's and other places that is really bad and I'd prefer matchlight to some of those.....

September 2nd, 2014, 11:41 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

That's why I say "quality lump" in the video because there is some garbage out there. Ozark Oak, Rockwood, Fire King, Kamado Joe, The Good One, Primo, BGE, and Wicked Good are all some examples of quality lump. Royal Oak is wildly inconsistent, some bags are good, and some are not. But R.O. burns really fast.

September 2nd, 2014, 1:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Kirby wrote:That's why I say "quality lump" in the video because there is some garbage out there. Ozark Oak, Rockwood, Fire King, Kamado Joe, The Good One, Primo, BGE, and Wicked Good are all some examples of quality lump. Royal Oak is wildly inconsistent, some bags are good, and some are not. But R.O. burns really fast.

Yep, wasn't disagreeing with you at all. Some lump is charcoal and some I've bought are just limbs that are charred on the outside. Two way different things. That said, if you have a stick burner, burn sticks!!! :lol:

September 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I now stay away from Cowboy completely too after getting some rocks and one piece of plywood in a bag...buyer beware...

I use only lump, never briquets. I can get Royal Oak here at Restaurant Depot for really cheap, so I use it from time to time, but I agree w/ Yoder_Kirby that it's inconsistent. I've also found that the RO bags I've had have a lot of small, fine pieces and not as many large ones as I'd like...

if you're looking for a great source for lump charcoal reviews, google The Naked Whiz Lump Charcoal Reviews. (I'd put a link, but I'm not sure we're allowed to provide links on this forum and you'll find it very easily...)

Happy cooking!

TJ

January 3rd, 2015, 8:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Dumb question time!

Do you NEED a chimney starter to get the lump charcoal going or can you do it successfully with just some balled up paper and perhaps some cedar kindling split up? Reason I ask, just bought a Cheyenne today, and was so wound up mentally that I finally got a smoker, I forgot to ask about a chimney? DUH! Want to season it tomorrow and maybe start cooking something small tomorrow afternoon?

Any thoughts?

Yoder Cheyenne
Is there really anything better than BBQ?
January 3rd, 2015, 11:04 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You can use paper, or a propane torch. The chimney does the job much more efficiently and completely.

Yoder_Herb
January 4th, 2015, 5:53 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Sounds good Herb, thanks. Will see how I make out today. Have about 3 inches of snow to blow first, then its PLAY TIME!

Yoder Cheyenne
Is there really anything better than BBQ?
January 4th, 2015, 12:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I always use the torch to start my chimney, don't need paper and there is no extra ash to clean up.

Return to Stick Burners