Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 25th, 2019, 2:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello everyone,

I am having 10 guest for thanksgiving this week and of course I'm going to smoke it on the ys640 .I have done spatchcock chickens with great success. That said the timeframe was based around me saying its done lol. so my question is.. i'm a little nervous about either heating up high then bringing heat down or the opposite just because of timing with all the other food being ready etc.
I have seen many people run at 325* spatchcocked basted( butter) and spun 180* half way thru and pull at 160* foil tent and rested .
My turkey is 18.65 lbs before spatchcock . I will brine it myself the night before ,my wife wants to cook the innards down separately on the stove to make the gravy without as much smoke flavor,so I will not have anything under it to catch juice unless you yell at me lol ..

So I guess the real question is how long would you expect a 18.5 pound spatchcocked turkey to take at your recommended constant temp of whatever you recommend 325 or 350 .

Thank you having your family wait for dinner is easy but an entire house of people with thanksgiving sides is not as easy ..

Also what pellets would you reccomend I have a good selection?

Thanks Ray

November 25th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I cook spatchcocked at 350 on a rack on the lower grates. I use a 50/50 mix of BBQRs Delight pecan and cherry for everything. Approximately 20 min per pound as a guideline, not a rule. If it is done early, take it off the cooker when done, let it sit for 10 minutes, then foil it, wrap in towels and drop into a cooler till needed.

I never brine unless the turkey is fresh and has not been enhanced or injected. Most frozen turkeys are already injected with up to 20% brine. As an example, Butterball turkeys are brined at 8%, so no further brine is needed. Personal choice and decision for you to make.

Yoder_Herb
November 25th, 2019, 9:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:I cook spatchcocked at 350 on a rack on the lower grates. I use a 50/50 mix of BBQRs Delight pecan and cherry for everything. Approximately 20 min per pound as a guideline, not a rule. If it is done early, take it off the cooker when done, let it sit for 10 minutes, then foil it, wrap in towels and drop into a cooler till needed.

I never bring unless the turkey is fresh and has not been enhanced or injected. Most frozen turkeys are already injected with up to 20% brine. As an example, Butterball turkeys are brined at 8%, so no further brine is needed. Personal choice and decision for you to make.

Thanks Herb

This is fresh and unbrined bird ,when you say on a grate on the lower rack what are you using? and to be clear you are expecting a 18 pound turkey spatchcocked to take 6 hrs????

I'm seeing 13`-15 min a pound and 4.5-5hrs for a standard turkey 20 lb bird at 350 in an oven not spatchcocked ....
what am I missing Herb?
thanks
Ray

November 25th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

smokeitifyagotit wrote:
Yoder_Herb wrote:I cook spatchcocked at 350 on a rack on the lower grates. I use a 50/50 mix of BBQRs Delight pecan and cherry for everything. Approximately 20 min per pound as a guideline, not a rule. If it is done early, take it off the cooker when done, let it sit for 10 minutes, then foil it, wrap in towels and drop into a cooler till needed.

I never bring unless the turkey is fresh and has not been enhanced or injected. Most frozen turkeys are already injected with up to 20% brine. As an example, Butterball turkeys are brined at 8%, so no further brine is needed. Personal choice and decision for you to make.

Thanks Herb

This is fresh and unbrined bird ,when you say on a grate on the lower rack what are you using? and to be clear you are expecting a 18 pound turkey spatchcocked to take 6 hrs????

I'm seeing 13`-15 min a pound and 4.5-5hrs for a standard turkey 20 lb bird at 350 in an oven not spatchcocked ....
what am I missing Herb?
thanks
Ray

That is why I used the word "approximately", "guideline" and "not a rule" in my response. Here is a photo of 4 turkey breasts I did last week

4 turkey breasts.jpg

Yoder_Herb
November 25th, 2019, 10:36 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

is this the rack you spoke of ? did you make or buy it .and I respect your answer of course ,im just nervious I will be an hr off and all the food will be done and everyone will be waiting for my turkey. normally its just my family so it doesn't matter much . I just seared 3 gorgeous ny steaks tonight on my grill gates to 130* they were fantastic

November 26th, 2019, 12:01 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The stainless part is a full pan rack from a restaurant supply store, and the 2 racks it is sitting on are folding cookie racks that come in a 3 pack from almost any sore that carries cooking items.

Yoder_Herb
December 3rd, 2019, 8:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It’s a little late but I cooked 4 turkey halves 2-17 lb birds. 200* for a half hr to get some smoke then it took 3hrs 15 minutes at 350 to finish things off. FYI I took it farther then spatchcocking and halved the birds because I had 3 different flavor profiles going. Injected and cooked the times listed above and I was a hit this year.

March 16th, 2020, 2:11 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

This has some of the great ideas for spatchcock turkey. I will save this idea for thanksgiving. My suggestions to add a blend of these to the turkey. I will add more taste to it.

Return to Pellet