Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder ACS Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 11th, 2021, 7:52 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi forum,

I couldn't find any posts so I'm curious if many people have had their ACS controllers just stop working altogether? Just dumb bad luck getting a rare faulty unit I guess, but mine died 1 week in on my brand new YS640S after about 10 hours of use before I'd even gotten a chance to cook on it.

I had run empty cooks to burn in and season the previous 2 days and after finishing a cook to calibrate temp (pit probe was wildly off, 25 and 40 degrees cooler than the meat probes; thanks to @yoder_herb for providing a great tutorial), I was about to cook food on it for the first time when I noticed that it was no longer producing smoke, the fire was out, fan not operating and the ACS screen was frozen and unresponsive to pressing the menu buttons and turning/pressing the dial. After trying the on/off button I unplugged the smoker, left it a few min and plugged it in again. Screen blank, no signs of life. ShopVac worked fine in the socket so no issues with the power supply.

I called Yoder and left a message with customer service. While I was waiting for a call back I thought about checking the fuse, which looked good but I changed it for the spare just in case but no luck. Yoder called, very nice, helpful, and apologetic. They had me check where the exterior plug connects to the hopper on the underside of the comp cart. All good there. I have a replacement ACS being shipped overnight to swap out.

Customer service does seem great (ATBBQ too), but the bad ACS does knock my confidence in Yoder's quality control, especially after the cooker arrived with interior and exterior damage to the paint and one of the hooks on the side shelf bent.

Anyway, I'd be really interested if anyone else has had a similar issue with a faulty ACS.

Cheers :shock:

YS640s Comp Cart / Smoked meat newbie

'He is a large man, with a white mustache, and a midsection that reflects a forty-year interest in Texas barbecue.' ~ Calvin Trillin
August 30th, 2021, 10:41 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So I just picked up my YS640 on saturday and I'm having similar issues. About 20 minutes into the break in the display stayed lit, but the knob and buttons did nothing when adjusted. I had to unplug and restart to get it to work again. Then, during the first cook, I tried to adjust the temperature using the fireboard app and the app said it changed the temp, but the display on the ACS didn't change. Had to unplug again to reset it. Lastly, I pushed the power button after the cook and it didn't start the cooldown process. Display just continues to show current temp and knob/buttons did nothing.

I'm going to call ATBBQ today to see if they have any guidance. Mine was manufactured on 8/20/21, so maybe they have a batch of glitchy ACS controllers?

August 30th, 2021, 12:02 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yeah could be a bad batch of controllers. Mine was manufactured 7/2/21.

Hopefully they'll get a replacement out to you asap. They were very helpful and I received the new one next day. I'm not a big DIY'er and it was pretty easy to switch out. No problems since, have cooked a half dozen good meals on it, just needed to calibrate the new ACS because the pit was reading 20-40 degrees off probes set at the grates again.

Best of luck!

YS640s Comp Cart / Smoked meat newbie

'He is a large man, with a white mustache, and a midsection that reflects a forty-year interest in Texas barbecue.' ~ Calvin Trillin

Return to ACS Pellet