Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder ACS Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 28th, 2021, 5:38 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I followed one of the online documents (there are several) for testing and calibrating the Yoder cookers.

I have the drive session saved and not sure what my next steps are besides sending the details to customer service.

Drive session: https://share.fireboard.io/4641F2
Probe 1: YS1500 internal probe(?) I only had 1 probes in use so not sure if this is a default probe.
Probe 2: External Drive 2 Device Probe on upper grate 14" from hopper
Probe 3: YS1500 external temp probe on lower grate 14" from hopper

My main concern is cooking on the top grate while its temp swings 20-60 degrees from the bottom grate. I have experienced and have been told to stay away from the bottom grate as the temps will be hotter - is that really the case? Judging by the results, it may not be.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am attaching the pics I sent to customer services as well.

Thanks!

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

July 28th, 2021, 7:08 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

The space on top of the diffuser plate is always hotter. It's where the fire is. Physics, simple eh?

When you cook a brisket, pork butt etc does the final product come out great?

That's good.

More later. Dinner ready. Have had a 640 for 7 years. Don't worry about small changes. Pros don't.

July 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yeah physics are a wonderful thing.

Well to be honest, I havent had a decent brisket or pork butt since switching to the YS. Reason for the post and the temp test.

First brisket cook was on the lower shelf, stack side (avoiding the physics issue) at 250 and the bottom of the brisket was extra crispy, before the wrap at 160. Ok, learning curve, right?
Read and read some more and switched to the upper rack. Very similar outcome, Watched temps on the upper shelf fluctuate 50+ degrees from pit temp.

So if pit temp is set to 250, upper rack consistently reads 290+, should I have to set the pit at 210 ???

Do i need to change any of the calibration settings on the ACS?

Any advice, tips are appreciated and I apologize if this has been covered a thousand times before.

Thanks!

Return to ACS Pellet