Using Yoder Smokers in outdoor kitchens
June 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am envious of you folks that have an outdoor sink, table, and so on for cleaning up after a cook. My space is cramped with no wash facilities near the smoker. I have to use the garage sink to wash things.
I was thinking:
Why not every now and then just put the greasy, grimy cooking grates and grid in the kitchen's self-cleaning oven?
So I ask you guys. How about it?
Would the temperature be too high and cause the chrome to crack or the aluminum grill grates to melt?

June 25th, 2020, 5:42 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I do not have an answer for you but am interested in hearing the response to your question. If by chance you get an answer from another qualified individual please let the rest of us know.
Thanks in advance

September 20th, 2020, 7:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I can't speak specifically to Yoder components, but a self-cleaning oven typically holds a temp of about 900°F for several hours.

All ovens that I am familiar with that utilize chrome-plated racks require that the racks be removed before running a self-cleaning cycle. If they are not removed, they frequently turn dark or bluish and lose their slick surface so they no longer slide smoothly. Given that the Yoder racks are chrome plated steel, I would not advise subjecting them to that heat.

Aluminum melts at about 1,200°F (actual varies based on the alloy), however, aluminum anneals at well below 900°F, so heating aluminum grates to that temp for an extended time will likely permanently alter their physical properties which may well be detrimental to their performance.

I personally would not subject anything less than cast iron to a self-cleaning oven cycle.

Return to Outdoor Kitchens