December 16th, 2014, 4:40 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Has anyone had any luck doing hot and fast baby back ribs that have turned out tender?

I've heard of a lot of people smoking at 325F and getting good results.

Any ideas?

December 16th, 2014, 10:43 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I always do mine at 275, but have not tried any higher.

Yoder_Herb
December 16th, 2014, 10:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:I always do mine at 275, but have not tried any higher.

Thanks Yoder_Herb.

Reason I ask is that i'm planning on cooking two lamb shoulders, baby back ribs, a turkey and some chickens all at the same time in the YS640!

Any tips?

December 16th, 2014, 11:08 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Poultry must be on the bottom, as you never want to cook anything but poultry under poultry. You can put pretty much anything above poultry. You might get a few grease spots, but pork grease makes everything better, right.

If I was doing this, I might cook the lamb and ribs first and FTC them while the poultry cooks. The trade off is to cook everything at the same time and have some tough skin on the birds, or you could put them under the broiler in the oven to crisp them up.

Yoder_Herb
December 16th, 2014, 11:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Poultry must be on the bottom, as you never want to cook anything but poultry under poultry. You can put pretty much anything above poultry. You might get a few grease spots, but pork grease makes everything better, right.

If I was doing this, I might cook the lamb and ribs first and FTC them while the poultry cooks. The trade off is to cook everything at the same time and have some tough skin on the birds, or you could put them under the broiler in the oven to crisp them up.

Cool thanks for that, might have to start the ribs and lamb early then take them out and crank up the heat for the poultry.

Will have some fine trying to time this.

December 18th, 2014, 3:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So had a bit of a think about how I'm going to cook everything at once, especially trying to get the chicken and turkey with a crispy skin.

I've looked at spatch-cocking both the chickens and turkey and getting the ribs and lamb shoulder off an hour earlier so i can crank up the heat.

So the setup will be as follows in the YS640 at 275F

Two lamb shoulders bottom shelf on the left for say 8-9 hours until they hit 205F
7 racks of spares top shelf on the left , not sure about timings yet as i usually cook them at 225F
Spatchcocked turkey bottom shelf on the right until the breast hits about 155F
Spatchcocked chickens top shelf on the right until the breast hits about 155F

I'll see if i can get the ribs and lamb shoulders timed so they finish at least an hour before the chicken and turkey so i can crank up the heat to say 350F to crisp up the skin.

Any thoughts on time for each meat based on my cooking methods and set temp?

December 18th, 2014, 5:59 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Ribs will take about 4 hours at 275, if you don't foil.

Yoder_Herb
December 18th, 2014, 6:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Ribs will take about 4 hours at 275, if you don't foil.

ok thanks for that, i'm guessing about 3.5 if you do?

I've never tried ribs without foiling, might try a few without foil and some with and see how i go

December 20th, 2014, 4:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Looks like the cook up has been revised a little

Want to cook everything at @ 275F to speed up the cook and hopefully get some good skin on the turkey

Two lamb shoulders bottom shelf on the left for say 6-7 hours (foiling when they hit 150F)
7 racks of baby backs top shelf on the left , (I'm guessing about 3-4 hours depending on if i foil or not)
Spatchcocked turkey 14lb bottom shelf on the right until the breast hits about 155F (I'm guessing 3-4 hours)

I've been doing a lot of reading on the baby backs @ 275F and i'm tempted to try a few today foiled and unfoiled to see the results.

Also looking at turkey cook times on the pellet grill when spatchcocked and i'm reading about 15 minutes per pound, does that sound about right? Mind you it's at 275, some people do it at 225 or 325

December 20th, 2014, 6:44 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

275 is my preferred smoking temp. I do prefer poultry cooked at a little higher temp, but it can be done at 275 with good results.

December 21st, 2014, 5:55 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Kirby wrote:275 is my preferred smoking temp. I do prefer poultry cooked at a little higher temp, but it can be done at 275 with good results.

So i tried some baby backs at 275 along with some chicken wings and drummets.

I had 5 racks of baby backs, thought i'd try one all the way through without foiling and the rest foiling after two hours.

They turned out pretty well.

Total cook time was just under four hours.

The one i did un-foiled turned out pretty tender with a nice bite.

The rest i did 2-1.25-.5 and they were also pretty tender but didn't turned to mush like when doing them at 225.

I think i'll stick to the 275 method for a little bit and tune the timings, seems to save just over an hour, mind you i was cooking these on the top rack of the yoder so next time might try the bottom rack above the burn pot.

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks