December 11th, 2018, 4:51 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Just received my 2 piece diffuser and Grill Grates for my YS 640 & have a few questions for the group.

1. If I'm only planning on smoking something should I take off the Grill Grates and replace them with the normal grates that came
with the smoker?

2. If I'm planning on smoking and then doing a reverse sear on a steak or roast should I remove the cover plate on the diffuser prior
searing?

3. Is there a preference when smoking to using the top or bottom shelves and if using the top shelf for a roast will putting a drip
pan to catch all of the juices interfere with the smoking process?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Gotta love having this smoker! :D

December 11th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

GerryC wrote:Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Just received my 2 piece diffuser and Grill Grates for my YS 640 & have a few questions for the group.

1. If I'm only planning on smoking something should I take off the Grill Grates and replace them with the normal grates that came
with the smoker?

2. If I'm planning on smoking and then doing a reverse sear on a steak or roast should I remove the cover plate on the diffuser prior
searing?

3. Is there a preference when smoking to using the top or bottom shelves and if using the top shelf for a roast will putting a drip
pan to catch all of the juices interfere with the smoking process?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Gotta love having this smoker! :D

1. This is up to you, and a personal choice that you can make after getting some experience with the cooker. Personally I remove them unless I an using them to grill.

2. This is again a personal choice. Do you want the flame to have access to the meat, then remove the door.

3. I use both the top and the bottom. Using a pan is a personal choice, but will make a difference in airflow and heat dynamics inside the cooker.

Here are some articles that will help:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1392

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1386

Yoder_Herb
December 11th, 2018, 10:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks, Herb. That's the fun part of owning a Yoder smoker.......experimenting & having fun. Merry Christmas!

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks