Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
September 11th, 2021, 11:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I almost made a huge mistake and bought a Traeger at the big box. I was going to read one more review when someone tactfully suggested that the OP should look into a Yoder instead. Yoder? Never heard of it. I was intrigued as the name sounded Amish and I wondered if beside incredible furniture they made smokers? Was Amish BBQ a thing I’ve been missing out on? A quick search led me down an hours-long rabbit hole. Hours turned into days and I read and watched everything Yoder I could. Given the choice, on purchases like this, I’ll chose quality every time if my budget allows.

I’m a total rookie. Years ago I started with an electric Masterbuilt then moved on to propane. Never had a smoke ring but I spent a few years with my humble smoker perfecting recipes and techniques. I taught myself how to make bacon, ham, Canadian bacon, summer sausage, bratwurst, beef jerky, and ribs. I shied away from brisket as it’s a very rich meat and I wasn’t confident in my propane smoker skills to make a big $$$ mistake. Covid sent me into seclusion so I turned to my hobbies for recreation. Lego was getting expensive and I was running out of room. It made total sense to me that if my hobby was causing storage issues, I should eat my hobby. Problem solved!

Now I was resolved that to take my fledging BBQ skills to the next level I needed to take a step up from the propane. I’d love a stick burner but I also have no time to babysit the firebox. A pellet smoker seemed to make perfect sense. I pre-purchased one through a local Yoder dealer. Now, 80 other new owners and myself are patiently awaiting the arrival of our 640s’s on a magic truck from the east.

In anticipation of its arrival I burned the proverbial bridge. This afternoon I gave my propane smoker to a coworker and friend who has become addicted to my BBQ projects and is inspired to make his own goodies. My freezer has plenty of bacon to tide me over for a few more weeks. I’m looking forward to tasting what difference the Yoder will make to my standard repertoire.

I’ll be watching and rewatching Chef Tom at work until my 640s arrives. I am disappointed that I thought I had a chance at “inventing” bacon burnt ends several years ago but I’ve discovered through the magic of YouTube that I probably did not. It’s still the best appetizer to bring to a party. However, I am wondering if I may be the inventor of pulled ham? Probably not given my recent discoveries and, that invention was more of an amazing mistake. I let my ham cook too long and the IT climbed to 200 and behold, pulled ham! Folks scream for it as it’s so amazing.

My first question is regarding the dial thermometer. I have a nice multi probe device I’ve been using to monitor both meat temps and box temps. However, it’s still nice to glance at a good old steam gauge. I’m wondering if that’s something any of you use and is there an advantage to having one on each side of the lid?

I’m looking forward to leaning on and learning from your experience.

-Sven

September 16th, 2021, 12:33 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
September 16th, 2021, 9:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Well, Yoder Herb, I guess I have my answer. Bob Ross would call mine a happy mistake. Your delicious work of art is on purpose. Thanks for the tutorial. I’ll have to give your method a try with one of my home-brined hams.

January 15th, 2022, 9:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I think I’m turning into a Yoder Evangelist. I have a friend and coworker who was about to purchase a RecTeq pellet grill. I started talking up how happy I am with my Yoder and started sending him pictures. Well, he just avoided the same mistake I almost made and he ordered his YS640S and is now anxiously awaiting its arrival. I invited him over tonight and he was shocked and pleased at how heavy it was. Made me happy I could save another smoking soul.

January 26th, 2022, 11:16 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Thank you for supporting the brand!!

January 27th, 2022, 8:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Joey wrote:Thank you for supporting the brand!!

Absolutely @Yoder_Joey. I’m on the verge of “selling” a third one and close to a fourth. That third guy knows a lot of folks and does a lot of entertaining and has 13 kids to feed plus all their friends. Might be a YS1500. He’s tired of his Traeger. He keeps having to fix it. He’s going to convince a lot of folks to trade up for sure.

Love the brand and love that it’s made in the USA.

Return to Introduce Yourself