Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
February 25th, 2021, 1:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Made the switch from Traeger after 13 years and so far couldn't be happier! The 640 is definitely light years ahead as far build quality...

I use my smoker heavily, hence the big purchase. My biggest question is about the 2 piece diffuser plate and FOILING. I've read other topics about this on this forum, but just wanted a little user input from experienced 2 piece plate users! I have always with the Traeger used foil. Yes, it makes for easier cleanup but can still be a pain in the a$$ when it's all greasy with burnt stuff all over it, so still a bit messy. My concern with not foiling on the traeger was that the thin drip plate would be ruined...HOWEVER, the diffuser plate on the 640 is like 6x thicker steel, so am wondering if it's A. necessary to foil and B. How easy is the cleanup on the diffuser if you don't foil. *I am not at all worried about the look of the diffuser plate if the functionality is the same

I smoked 9 racks on my first smoke and wrapped the diffuser plate and the diffuser trap door with foil separately and looked nice and neat. After the smoke and after it cooled down, I tried to take the trap door off and it just pulled all the foil off with it....Now thinking I should skip the foil altogether, maybe just throw a piece down over the whole plate with some magnets if it's going to be a big fatty smoke. OR, is that even necessary?! Non foilers, sell me on your method and tips/tricks to seasoning and cleaning! Would love to be a non-foiler but am skeptical!

Other question....it looks like the lid made contact with one of my racks of ribs on the smoke and when I opened the lid, a 5 inch piece of the felt stuck to it and pulled it off the lid! Has this ever happened to anyone else? something to be concerned about, maybe contact Yoder?

Lastly, i've heard of people using a shop vac to clean out the ashes, anyone ever use or recommend something smaller, like a handheld vacuum, etc. Don't really have a great spot for a huge shopvac!

February 26th, 2021, 1:31 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That looks perfect. Do you use the filter bag or just right into the bucket?

THANKS

Return to Introduce Yourself