Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
November 1st, 2020, 3:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

The Yoder is the first pellet smoker I’ve ever owned. Eight cooks thus far, and I love it. I have a Big Green Egg, PK Grill, Weber gas and charcoal kettle grills. I’ve cooked several pork butts, ribs, beer can chickens and brisket thus far, and I’ve learned something with every cook. I’ve utilized recipes from Chef Tom at All Things BBQ, Malcom Reed, Heath Riles and Aaron Franklin. This Thanksgiving I will smoke my first turkey and I am looking forward to it.

My other grills/smokers will be in a dry dock for awhile judging by how much I enjoy cooking on this smoker. I live in Illinois about 20 miles east of St. Louis MO. The assembly went smoothly. Like others have posted, I did my research before buying this smoker and I have no regrets. After these cooks I can see the value of some of the accessories offered.

I bought the diffuser with the access door. Glad I did. This should come standard in my opinion. The ease of cleaning makes it worth the purchase alone. I do not cook without placing foil on the diffuser and I doubt I ever will for the same reason: ease of cleanup.

I also purchased the grill grates because I have them on my other coolers and I know what they add to searing steaks.

I would have bought the cover but it is back ordered, so I bought an inexpensive cover from Amazon and it is doing the trick.

The other options I recommend, but did not purchase because my wife wanted Christmas ideas for me, are the half sized upper cooking rack for easier access to the lower grate; the stainless front and side shelves which I think will greatly enhance the utility of the shelves by providing a solid surface, especially with the tool hooks on the side shelf; and the grease shield as I already see that it is hard to avoid drippings getting on the front of the cooker when putting whatever you are cooking on the lower grate.

My proficiency as a “pit master” skyrocketed with this smoker, and will continue with each cook. The resources on forums like this, All Things BBQ, YouTube, etc. have helped me immensely. I am happy to have joined the family of Yoder pit masters! Thanks for all you do on this forum, Bill

Return to Introduce Yourself