September 19th, 2020, 8:18 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'll kick off the new forum with a thread for smoking fish.

Here's the recipe I use all the time on Salmon and Steelhead. it's a dry brine that gets big thumbs from all who use or taste it:

• 1/2 cup white sugar
•1 1/2 cups brown sugar
•1/3 cup salt (usually Kosher salt)
•2 tbsp garlic powder
•2 tbsp onion powder
•2 tbsp pepper
Cut fish into no bigger than 6"x4" ..I like "Candy bar" cuts of about 2-3 inches wide.

Mix all ingredients into bowl. Place fish into mix coating all sides. Place fish skin side down in a 2nd glass bowl (the bigger the better).... Layering the fish till done. The fish will start to emulsify so don’t fill to the top. Cover with plastic wrap and put in frig for 2 days rotating fish from top to bottom after 1 day. This is a 2 day brine using a smaller salt/sugar ratio to allow the fish to get sweeter and still emulsify adequately.

After 2 days rinse the fish slightly and shake off water put on smoker rack. Let sit for 1/2hr. Preheat smoker then place fish in for 6 to 8+ hr depending on thickness using Alder, Hickory or your preferred smoking chips. Fish should look caramel in color when done.

Enjoy!

Add your recipes below....

September 19th, 2020, 7:07 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I usually smoke salmon at 170 although I usually do not have all the ingredients of Giano and mine is a short 6-8 hour brine.

May have to try though. I usually do the Copper River salmon when in season so the fat level with the freshness of the salmon kinda puts it over the top.

Return to Seafood