September 3rd, 2014, 4:50 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I just thought Pig Candy would be an amazing way to get this pork recipes thread kicked off! Hope you agree. :D

Ingredients
    2 cups dark brown sugar (dark or light both ok)
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
    1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or more to taste)
    1 pound thick sliced bacon, with strips cut in half so you have roughly 4-6" pieces.

Directions
    Mix brown sugar, cayenne and chipotle thoroughly in large bowl with wire whisk. dredge each slice of bacon in mixture, pressing rub into both sides of each piece. Remove to tray lined with foil or parchment. When all pieces are covered in dry rub, move to Yoder smoker at 275 to 300F. Cook until crisp but not burned. Remove and let cool for a few minutes and then prepare to taste the best thing you ever put in your mouth!

There are tons of riffs on pig candy--this is just mine...please post any other cool variations. These are amazing crowd pleasers as appetizers or treats for guests before the main event! This amount of dry rub will do more than 1 lb of bacon, but I can't give a precise estimate on how much it will work for. It's so easy to make (and honestly, so cheap), that you can make up extra really quickly if you run out.

Enjoy.

September 3rd, 2014, 6:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Thanks TJed.

Yoder_Herb
September 10th, 2014, 10:39 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

lordy lordy lordy that sounds good!!!

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
September 10th, 2014, 1:05 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Sounds like a great snack for the cook. ;)

Durango 24
September 10th, 2014, 1:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
  • Location: Mile High, waiting patiently for my YS640 Comp Cart :)

Man that sounds awesome!! Thanks for making me hungry :)

Anxiously waiting my new YS640 Silver Comp cart
September 11th, 2014, 12:36 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yeah, it never lasts for too long...but your friends who get some will thank you forever and never forget their first pig candy! Hope you all enjoy it (not worried... 8-) )

P.s., I am not honestly sure of the exact temp I used to cook the last batch of pig candy I did. Might have been lower than the 275 to 300 I put in the recipe. I would definitely suggest starting at 275 and move it up if it's cooking too slowly. If you're getting any sugar burn at 275, definitely back it down a bit. Better to cook the bacon all the way through before burning the sugar so you don't want the temp too high.

December 20th, 2016, 4:53 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the recipe. Do you remember approx. how long it was on the cooker? I was thinking of brushing each slice of bacon with pure maple syrup and then dredging. I've seen this is some other recipes....but I like your idea of dredging.
Thanks.

December 21st, 2016, 7:52 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Maple syrup adds very very little flavor/sweetness during the cook and it's expensive. Drizzle it on just before serving

January 15th, 2017, 9:13 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

We do an annual thanksgiving turkey fry. I've been working on curing and smoking bacon. My last batch was a little salty, so I sliced it a little thicker, then lightly coated with 1/4 cracked black pepper. Then slow smoked in my electric smoker (YS640 on order) until the slices were firm. Served as the perfect stir stick in a bloody mary.

March 16th, 2017, 10:05 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Made some of this in the oven after work last night. BIG hit with the family. I'll try it in the smoker soon. Thanks for the recipe!

Return to Pork