Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 28th, 2015, 6:34 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Isn't it, by nature, supposed to keep water out? Instead of cooking tonight, I'm cleaning up a big mess.... :evil:

This heavy duty custom cover is designed to fit either your Yoder Smokers YS640 or YS640 on Competition Cart. Velcro fastens the cover tightly over shelves to keep out rain, wind, snow and other elements. (http://www.atbbq.com/catalog/product/view/id/382/)

ETA: My $53 Weber Genesis cover keeps the water out.... and it doesn't have a hopper full of compressed sawdust pellets.... :evil:

December 28th, 2015, 7:00 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I had the same problem!

Herb - HELP!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
December 28th, 2015, 7:03 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Also,

Mine does NOT have velcro anything.

Wichita, KS!

December 28th, 2015, 7:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am very very upset. I had to vacuum out a hopper full of wet pellet mush, only to find the auger cemented firmly in place with more pellet mush... any advice on how to clear the jam would be greatly appreciated.

If the cover is not waterproof, do not list "rain" and "snow" as things it keeps out.... :evil:

Mine doesn't have velcro either - only snaps.

December 28th, 2015, 8:16 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Anyone with a cover issue, please send an email with your questions and concerns to customerservice@yodersmokers.com, with the following information:

Full name
Shipping address
Phone number
Purchase date of the cover (photo of the receipt if possible)

Yoder_Herb
December 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

We are very sorry that you experienced this issue with your cover. Our covers are water resistant to 3PSI. This should cover the majority of weather conditions.
If you would please provide the information Herb requested and sent over to us, it will help understand when the cover was made and allow us to communicate with our supplier.

December 28th, 2015, 8:52 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Thanks Herb! I appreciate the quick reply. I just sent an email in to CS.

Wichita, KS!

December 29th, 2015, 9:29 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Email sent. Thanks for the quick response.

Crazy thing is it wasn't leaking in one place - in addition to the hopper disaster, both stainless tables had water standing on them, etc.

And again, please advise on how to clear the auger, which is literally cemented in place with wet pellets (that are now dry). I chiseled away all that I could between the first two twists that are visible inside the hopper, but I'm not sure how to clear the part inside the tube that penetrates the firebox.

Last edited by Ware on December 29th, 2015, 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
December 29th, 2015, 9:43 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Aside from the pellets I lost and the time I'm going to be out trying to get my YS640 working again, it really irritates me that I spent the money for a Yoder cover with the intention of protecting my investment - only to find a rusty mess the first time I use it....

December 29th, 2015, 5:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm up and running again. Below is a photo of the auger that was packed full of wet pellets. :(

The instructions for removing the auger can be found here. I also had to remove the auger cover on the inside of cook chamber and tap the auger shaft with a hammer to get it to come out.

Many thanks to Joey at Yoder. He turned an otherwise crappy situation into making me glad I chose Yoder. It sure is nice to see a return customer support call coming in from Hutch, KS USA...

December 29th, 2015, 6:20 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I also received great customer service from Joey today. My problem has been resolved.

Also, i wanted to share this as my major issues was the cover blowing off and then the pellets getting contaminated. I just ordered a set of these and will let you know how they work... essentially a tie down system for your cover. Looks slick as hell and is less then $20 bucks shipped! If it works it will be awesome.

http://www.the-cover-store.com/furnitur ... or=Various

Wichita, KS!

March 27th, 2016, 1:17 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all, I treated my cover with this spray and it works excellent. I use it on all my motorcycle covers and textile jackets too, it is amazing stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Motorex-302328-Pr ... B001UAB7VA

March 27th, 2016, 9:03 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I KNOW this won't be a popular response, but I'll go ahead anyway...

Regardless of the brand, it drives me nuts when I see any pellet grill (covered or uncovered) sitting out in the elements. They have electronic components and run a fuel that will pulverize with any moisture. I used to store my Yoder pellet under a 100% covered patio with a cover on the unit as well. Even then, moisture would find its way in. I since keep it stored in the garage when not in use. I've never had an issue.

These aren't like gassers or charcoal grills and need to be treated differently. At the VERY least, drain your hopper if you're going to keep it parked outside. Wind and cold air will eat through even the best covers. You've made a serious investment with a cooker like this, so it needs some extra love when being stored.

Once again, I know that won't be a popular idea, but it's reality.

On another note... I made another serious investment by getting a Wichita. That beast sits out in the middle of the elements every day. I literally have purchased a new Yoder cover for it year after year. And, it still gets destroyed. It drives me nuts, but I've come to learn that the -30 degree windchills are just too much for the cover and they turn brittle.

Both cookers are still hands down the best artillery in my arsenal and I try to do the best I can to protect them when not in use.

April 28th, 2017, 10:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm having the same issue and it has gotten much worse. The entire unit is damp including pellets after a rain. It's like the cover is holding the water in.

April 29th, 2017, 11:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Meh, their response was if it's over 6 months buy a new one.

May 4th, 2021, 8:15 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I purchased the grill cover from ATBBQ along with the YS640s on December 30, 2020. I set up my Yoder Smoker in the garage and have been storing it there ever since.

When the grill is finished cooking and all the food items have been removed, I carefully remove any unused pellets from inside the hopper and prime the auger to completely drain the auger to remove any remaining pellets there as well. I do this every time and have had zero issues with leftover pellets clogging the hopper/auger.

The reason I purchased the $122.50 grill cover with the YS640 is that I always intended to move the grill to my back deck at some point. That point was yesterday. But last night, we had a lot of rain in NW Arkansas. So I checked on the grill this morning to see how the cover did.

I wasn't surprised to see water around the wheelbase and bottom shelf – it was really windy! But I was surprised to see water on the grill lid after removing the cover. This wasn't water that had dripped off the wet outer cover, this was water that had been sitting on the grill lid – somehow penetrated a 4-month-old "waterproof" grill cover that was used for the very first time outside last night.

If the cover had been used for 6-12 months outside continuously, I would expect this type of result, or worse. Pretty disappointed the cover didn't work the first first time.

I sent my information, along with my purchase receipt to ATBBQ for some assistance.

I believe, in the future, I will be covering the Yoder with a thick plastic drop cloth (after it cools) and top that off with the grill cover. I just cannot afford to spend this amout of money on a grill, only to have it ruined by a "waterproof" cover.

August 22nd, 2021, 4:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Since the first post was 2015, I am guessing that Yoder has addressed the leak problem by now 2021? My new Yoder 480S is going to be in the back patio and I am counting on the waterproof cover. Any cover experience out there?

September 2nd, 2021, 9:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My cover leaks badly and I can see light through every seam. It is far from waterproof and needs to be removed after every rain so the smoker dries out. I put a tarp over it in the winter because the snow sticks to it, freezes and you can not get the cover off until it thaws. Fits well and is only a good dust cover.

Return to Pellet