Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 5th, 2015, 7:11 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just wondering if anyone has this cover and can recommend it for the cost compared to generic cheap covers?

I currently store my ys640 in the garage with a cheap cover from kmart but am looking at moving it into my backyard to get some space back in my one car garage.

Apart from the fact that it's a fitted cover can anyone see in any benefits i'd get out of the yoder cover compared to a cheap generic one?

Cheers
BigBagGus

April 5th, 2015, 10:20 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yes, the Yoder cover will out last most any other cover you'll find. It fits perfectly. You spent a pretty penny on your cooker, give it the protection it deserves!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
April 7th, 2015, 10:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Saguaromike wrote:Yes, the Yoder cover will out last most any other cover you'll find. It fits perfectly. You spent a pretty penny on your cooker, give it the protection it deserves!

I'm trying to justify the cost of a cheap weather cover or investing in the thermal blanket.

I'm in Australia so climate doesn't get extremely cold here.

April 8th, 2015, 8:21 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

As long as the cover you currently have covers down past the main cooking parts, I don't see a need for a Yoder cover. I have the Yoder cover on my 640, I got it when I ordered mine 1.9 years ago. I live in Las Vegas, I keep my Yoder under the patio cover with a cover now since I don't cook every weekend now, darnit.. I'm sure my cover will last many years, and keep it free of the dust we have, like you down under. Your lesser cover might wear out faster and be less fashionable being a cheaper cover, it's not an issue, it's what comes off the grill. The Yoder cover fits well, but it's not like a models swimsuit. It's a nice well made cover, nothing else.

Blankets for you. Hmm. A cheap welding blanket and a movers furniture blanket might be better. Cheap and easy. Well, you do have to take it outta the shed and put them on for long cooks, like a brisket etc. It helps. When it's 35f my blanket goes on, even 44f nights. On long 12 hr+ cooks you will save on pellets, especially if your buying premium pellets down there.

Good day to ya, get to cookin!

Dunno, your a rich bloke, go all out, a regular middle class bloke, just do what I do.

April 8th, 2015, 1:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Are you thinking of a cover when the smoker is not in use, or the thermal blanket?

If no extreme temps, I would be tempted to use a generic blue tarp to drape over the entire smoker. I may actually do that in the summer, anyway. While the Yoder cover is nicely made, the aggravating thing is that you have to rotate the smoke stack downwards each time you put the Yoder cover on it. A blue tarp, if big enough, could permit the smoke stack to remain in an upright position.

April 9th, 2015, 12:54 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

BigBadGus wrote:
Saguaromike wrote:Yes, the Yoder cover will out last most any other cover you'll find. It fits perfectly. You spent a pretty penny on your cooker, give it the protection it deserves!

I'm trying to justify the cost of a cheap weather cover or investing in the thermal blanket.

I'm in Australia so climate doesn't get extremely cold here.

Now I understand. I live the Phoenix area of Arizona and the temps here are quite moderate (except in the Summer months) I don't have a thermal blanket for mine. But I have read that the pellet consumption is reduced even in the summer months. I would try the cheap one and see if it helps reduce your pellet consumption enough to justify the Yoder fitted thermal cover. One other thing, make sure whatever you use doesn't block the air intakes on the pellet hopper.
Good Luck
Mike

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts

Return to Pellet