Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 15th, 2014, 4:40 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I always use bbqrs delight pellets in my ys640. My question is does it really matter what kind of other pellets I use in the cooker?

August 15th, 2014, 5:44 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

There are differences in pellets, i.e., different lengths, different diameters, some have bark in them, some are only heart wood, some have added flavor oils, some are oak based blends, some are alder based blends, some are made of one species of wood, some are blends of multiple species, some have differing percentages of multiple species.

The bottom line is, you can use whatever you would like to use. The Yoder preferred brand of pellets is BBQr's Delight. They are what we use for testing and calibration, and what we use ourselves to cook with. We have tested the others, and so far, in our testing, no other brand of pellet is as consistent, over the long haul, from bag to bag and from pallet to pallet, as BBQr's Delight. They are so consistent, that when trouble shooting problems with customers, we sometimes ask the customer to use them, so we may eliminate the pellet variable from the equation when working toward a resolution.

Yoder_Herb
August 15th, 2014, 6:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb is spot on with his reply. There are many differences between each company. Quality, cost, etc. I would try a bunch and see what you like. A big factor with me would be availability. Hardly any dealers in CT so I am trying a bunch out before I commit to a pallet for the cost savings.

YS1500
August 15th, 2014, 6:11 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

:roll: I just ordered a half a pallet of BBQ delight Hickory.

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
August 16th, 2014, 5:23 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a YS640.....and I am a "lumberjack" pellet fan myself. I have used BBQ'ers Delight....and personally I didn't notice any difference in "performance" between the 2 brands. That being said, I want to state it is a comparison between BBQR's hickory and Lumberjack hickory.
But I did notice a difference in flavor. I only use the 100% varieties from Lumberjack, and I thought the flavor was the best compared to all others I tried.
I cannot comment on the YS1500, as I have read that unit produces a flavor very close to a stick burner. !00% varieties may be too intense. I dunno.

Proud owner of YS640 since Fe. of 2012
August 17th, 2014, 12:52 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

That's the great thing about barbecue. Experiment until you find what you like. And even then, keep experimenting. Try them all and find the one you like best.

Yoder Smokers YS1500, Yoder Smokers 24" Firepot, Yoder Smokers YS640 CompCart(sold)

Return to Pellet