Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi,

So I just got a Yoder 640S and was going through the burn-in procedure today. I noticed that the temps were a little erratic and I wasn't quite expecting that. So I knew it would overshoot and settle in but quite often I saw the pit dropping to like 339 degrees. That seems weird considering I thought it was supposed to maintain +/- 5 degrees (and that is what I had it set on.)

I made a rookie mistake and it ran out of pellets. I added pellets, but it was hell after that. At one point the smoker shot up to 422 degrees. I assume that is something I should expect if I make that mistake again? It makes sense, I'm just looking for some confirmation.

Thank you!

February 21st, 2021, 10:50 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Nevermind this - I probably should have read a bit more before posting up. I see this is all to be expected. Lessons learned!

April 24th, 2021, 11:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just did the burn in and it spiked to 635F. I had it set to 315F. Did I damage my 640S? I was watching it climb and I got worried once it got above 550F. I shut it down as soon as I saw it was 635F so I think it didn’t stay that hot too long.
Can’t figure out why it spiked, but the burn in procedure for the first time ever using the smoker said to put a handful of pellets in the fire pot. Maybe my handful was too big?
It has been behaving since. There was some discoloration of the diffuser and grates above the fire pot.
Today I was doing something at 500F and it never got above about 450F. It mostly stayed around 430F. It was 57F and windy outside. Maybe that’s the reason?

Return to Pellet