Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 22nd, 2019, 11:41 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am a proud new owner of a YS640 and have done 6 or so cooks on it and am getting better with each one. One thing that is frustrating is that the left side of the unit is consistently 40-60 degrees cooler whether on the top shelf or bottom doesn't matter. I use a FireBoard and place the two ambient probes on each side and every time the same difference. I have the fully opened to ostensibly have the temp be the same across the pit.

After looking at another post I moved my rightmost probe to the left a bit to make sure it was sufficiently above the heat shield and it went from 60 down to 40 degrees higher but remained there. Is such a difference expected? It really does influence the timing of a full smoker cook.

Any help or advice will be most appreciated.

YS640 Orange Comp Cart
Two Piece Diffuser Shield
Learning Mind Set

May 25th, 2019, 10:16 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I can say my 640 has the same characteristics you've described. I've moved the dampener in and out with some affect on the temperature differentials but not able to close the gap much. I tend to cook with the mindset I know where it will run hotter and use that to my advantage.

Randy
YS 640
May 25th, 2019, 11:51 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Return to Pellet