Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 13th, 2019, 2:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm a new owner of a Yoder pellet smoker and wonder if seasoned Yoder owners can give me some input on a few things.

- Any comments or suggestions about leaving pellets in hopper after use ?

- How long can I anticipate the thermoconductor and igniter to last? (Should I keep spares on hand?)

- I monitored the chamber temperatures with a FireBoard and noticed a difference between chamber and controller display; is that “normal”?

Overall I’m pleased with the first few cooks and like having less work maintaining a fire than with stick burners. Nice machine!

March 13th, 2019, 3:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Welcome JD. I will see what I can do to answer some of your questions from my experiences.

1. I leave my pellets in the hopper (I do have my 680 covered and in my garage when not in use. I would say that humidity can effect the pellets if you are stagnant for too long)
2. I have had my smoker for going on three seasons and haven't replaced either. Average 1-2 long smokes a month
3. I think that Herb has a really good sticky Yoder 101 in this forum. It explains the algorithm that the controller uses. From my experience with the Tappecue probe, my upper left runs about 20 degrees cooler than the grate. I strongly recommend the biscuit test and adjusting the damper with a couple of tests. I bet you can find a really consistent and even cook. I like it a little different in various spots as I normally am cooking different meats and different thickness.

Hope this helps!
-Curly

March 13th, 2019, 7:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Good feedback, thanks jdc

May 6th, 2019, 9:25 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Where do you live? Is it very humid? Is there a lot of precipitation? By the coast? Is your grill covered? Exposed to the elements? As far as leaving pellets in the hopper, you really need to consider these questions. I live in western Nebraska in a semi-arid climate. I leave pellets in my hopper without any problems, but my grill is covered and there's not a lot of moisture in the air. I also only leave in what is left after a smoke. I don't top it off and then cover it till next time. I also use it quite frequently, so the pellets don't tend to stay in the hopper too long.

If you want a back up, I'd go for the thermoconductor. You can always manually light the grill if the ignitor goes out and order a replacement at that time. If the thermo goes out, you will need to replace it prior to cooking. I've been planning on getting a thermo, but just haven't gotten around to it. I've had my 640 for a year now and gone through several hundred pounds of pork butts with no issues with either.

Temp will vary based on several variables. As mentioned by Curly, Herb has some pretty good threads on this topic. I'm not one that worries about fluctuations in the cooker. I set the temp and let the cooker so it's job. And, I've never been disappointed in anything that's came off my 640. If you want to really get a temp nailed in you may want to look at the new controllers they are coming out with in the 3rd Q.

Welcome to the Yoder family!

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!

Return to Pellet