Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 26th, 2014, 10:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Does anyone have the grill grates installed in their 640 and leave them in for both smoking and grilling. I have mine in with the heat diffuser in place and was contemplating leaving them in for the next comp. Would it interfere with the smoke at all? I really like how they keep a nice temp all the way across them, I have a full set that covers the entire grill surface.

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
August 26th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

There should be no problem in leaving them in. When grilling, I find that setting the cooker for 350 degrees, with the heat diffuser in place, works great for getting grill marks and crust.

Yoder_Herb
August 26th, 2014, 4:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks. 350-400 is pretty much my goto temp for grilling. Depends on the thickness of the cut on where I set it.

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
August 26th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Here is something for you to try...leave the heat diffuser in the cooker and put in the grill grates. Start the cooker, and after heat up, set the temperature for 200 to 225 degrees (you experiment and pick).

Get your steaks, tri-tip, pork chops, hamburgers, or whatever you want to grill all seasoned up and ready for cooking.

Once you have the sacrificial meat and the cooker ready, put the meat on the upper shelf. I like to keep things in the center and work towards the ends for this. Cook the meat to an internal temperature of 110-115 (again, you will have to make this your own). Once the meat is at the proper temperature, remove it and either loosely wrap in foil or put in a pan and cover.

Immediately after removing the meat from the cooker, close the lid, set the temp for 350, and hold the prime button in for 30 to 45 seconds.

As soon as the cooker hits 350, unwrap the meat and put it on the grill grates to grill and close the lid. You will have to decide how you want the meat finished, i.e., for beef: rare, medium rare, medium, etc., by internal temperature. Make sure that you grill both sides exactly the same amount of time, and rotate the meat 90 degrees at the half way point on each side to get a crosshatch pattern. Follow government health recommendations for the safe temperature of differing meats.

For example, I smoked the meat until an internal temp of 110 degrees and took it off and wrapped it up. After the cooker was at temp, I unwrapped it and put it on the grill grates. I want the meat (beef for this example) to be medium rare, so I need an internal temperature of 130 to 135 degree. I estimate that for my cuts of meat, this will take 4 minutes a side (you will have to experiment, as the thickness of the meat make a huge difference here). 2 minutes after putting the meat on the grill grates, I open the lid and rotate the meat 90 degrees to get a cross hatch pattern, and close the lid. At the 4 minute mark I open the lid and flip the meat over to grill the other side, and close the lid. At the 6 minute mark I rotate 90 degrees for the marks. At the 8 minute mark I take a temperature reading to see how close I am to my target of 130 degrees. If the meat needs just a small amount of time to reach temp, I will just leave it alone and check in a minute. If it needs a lot of time, I might flip it over again and finish it up.

Once the meat is up to temp, take it off and put in on a plate with a very loosely fitting foil tent so it can rest (the foil needs to be loose so that the meat stops cooking). 15 to 20 minutes rest is a good target, but you will have to experiment and figure out what works best for you. Enjoy your "reversed seared" meat. My bet is that you will always grill this way from now on. Enjoy.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet