Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 14th, 2018, 2:34 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the question/answer.

I have a YS640...love it!!

Just wondered...do I have to oil the outside chasis/cover etc with to keep it from rusting? I notice a lot of videos on youtube and a few folks have rust on the outer shell of their ys640. My model was built in April of 2017 I believe. I am at work right now so cannot look at it.

Is it a good practice to season/oil the outside of the cooker?

Sorry again for the dumb question :)

February 14th, 2018, 2:48 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Other than keeping the outside of your cooker clean of all drips and spills, which are very salty and acidic, it is not suggested that anything else be applied to the outside of the cooker. Cleaning is accomplished by using dish soap and warm water, or a neutral citrus cleaner, and then gently rinsing with warm water. This cleaning should be done immediately when drips and spills happen, or the salt and acid can be baked on/in the paint, causing paint damage.

Coating the outside of your cooker is entirely a personal choice, but not required or suggested.

Yoder_Herb
February 17th, 2018, 1:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you so much for the quick reply :)

Much appreciated!!

January 1st, 2022, 10:12 pm
mwd
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Do you season the entire inside of a YS640S and a Loaded Wichita?

Return to Pellet