Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 6th, 2021, 2:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all,

Is it true that you can't use a Yoder Smoker in any kind of rain? I'm planning to upgrade to the Yoder family, but this line from the Operator's Manual is a potential deal breaker for me since I smoke year round in any and all weather:

Do not use your grill in the rain or around any source of water.

Questions
  • If you do operate it in the rain, does it void the warranty?
  • Is the grease bucket prone to collecting water?
  • Does angling the stack away from the rain direction prevent water collecting in the cook chamber or has anybody put a weather-proof chimney attachment to it?
Thanks in advance, Yoder community!

More Background Info
I currently own a RecTeq Stampede and am planning an upgrade to something made in America. One thing the Stampede does well is prevent rain from coming into the cook chamber via a few "all weather" vents. The only kicker is the grease bucket, but I've worked around that using a ferrite magnet and some sheet metal. Ferrite magnets can hold up a strong grip up to about 500°F in temperature before they lose their magnetism. I'm never more than 275 on most of my cooks anyway. I place the sheet metal to cover the bucket and secure the sheet metal with the magnet.

June 8th, 2021, 3:36 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

It uses electricity from the wall. So, no, it has live voltage. Common sense.

The plug is exposed on the back, like a computer plug. The pellet chamber, while covered could get rain in it and make a mess of the pellets.

It's 120VAC of death is the worry, not a warrantee if you use it etc. It's not rain-proofed.

June 17th, 2021, 8:30 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame that a lower quality manufacturer is ahead of the game on weatherproofing their pellet smokers. I've smoked in two torrential downpours with sideways rain and one blizzard on my smoker without getting any water in my pellet and cooking chambers. Again, the only problem I've had has been with the grease bucket collecting water on my current pellet grill.

FWIW, you can purchase a waterproof junction box for outdoor electrical items. Even breaker boxes can be weatherproof'd for outdoor use (think of your pool's water pump, sand filter, etc.). To me therein is the real common sense issue: an outdoor item requiring electricity. One of the first things I think of for an outdoor item that requires electricity is how it handles the harshest elements in use. I've worked in QA for over a decade, and the majority of customers do not read the manual--they want the quick start guides only. You don't want to have customers purchasing an item, use it in poor conditions, and file warranty claims that puts undue stress on support and care teams.

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully Yoder can see my comments and update their product towards a demographic that doesn't smoke only when the weather is perfect. Cheers all!

June 18th, 2021, 5:47 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Sure. My 7 YO YS640 is fine. No fires, no issues.

Return to Pellet