Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 9th, 2021, 8:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello Yoder Community,

I got my first Yoder 5 months ago, a YS480S Competition. I've been using it every week with great results. However, at least for the past two cooks, it has been taking a very long time to reach temperature on pretty mild 50F spring days. Please see the attached Fireboard screenshot:

Screenshot_20210509-092916_FireBoard.jpg
This morning's temp graph

The cook started at 8:20am. The dip around 9:08 is me opening the grill to put things on because of the rest of my morning schedule, but you can see that it hadn't even hit 300F within that 48 minutes. The dip around 8:36am appears to be automatic (I assume/hope) as I did not open the grill until placing some items at 9:08.

When I got this grill in the winter, it seemed like it was hitting temperature in maybe 20 minutes, in active snowstorms or icy rain. I suspect I'm blocking something important or doing maintenance wrong.

* I do have a shop vac and I vacuum the pellet debris from the bottom every so often and just did so recently.
    * The side chimney itself appears to be clear, and the internal aperture looks fine, and I do feel a lot of air moving through it.
    * I don't think I saw any smoke from the chimney this morning, although you can feel hot air coming out of it.
    * The fan is running and drawing air, although I don't know what to check internally to see if intake is blocked.
    * I do clear ash from the pellet ignition tray at the start of every cook even if I don't vacuum.

Can anyone suggest things I should check internally for airflow to see if that's an issue?

Thanks!
Adrian

Return to Pellet