Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
August 17th, 2019, 10:46 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a little while and wanted to ask a few questions.

I started smoking 10 months ago with a $300 Oklahoma Joe offset. I very much enjoyed learning and smoking meat, but i couldn't believe how much charcoal i was using. I also wasn't good at fire management so I sold it and bought a GMG pellet smoker. Now for the pellet smoker, it's done everything I could have hoped...BUT it just doesn't have that smoke flavor I want. I've tried an amaz-n-tube, I've tried adding chips to that, I've tried different brand pellets, etc.

So here I am looking for a new smoker. I have always been fond of the Loaded Wichita and am leaning that direction. But there are a few things I want help with.

1. Did they move the firebox down for the loaded Wichita? I've done a lot of reading on it and noticed some people weren't happy with the airflow through the firebox.

2. Is there a big difference in smoke flavor or flavor in general, if someone was to use a charcoal box with the minion method and add chunks, vs using a bed of charcoals and burning splits the whole time? Idk what i'm going to do yet.

3. I have a hard time going to Scheels H&H or something like that and buying a bag of splits for $20 bucks that i could possibly use the whole bag on a brisket. I've been searching for other places to get wood, but I live in North Dakota so my options are limited. The majority of the trees that get cut down around here are Ash and maple. Now I've read you can use ash, but i'd probably add a few splits of something else throughout the cook as well, which could work fine.

I'm just nervous overall. It's a huge purchase to make, and i don't want to have to pay a ton for fuel if I can help it.

One more totally random question. I used to be looking into the YS640 model as an upgrade from my GMG, but then I learned it consumes like 3 times the number of pellets as a Traeger or GMG pellet. Why is that? Because I'm sure it's better quality and thicker steel.

I've tried asking these questions to Yoder and also asked for a catalog and haven't gotten anyone to talk to.

Thanks for your help guys!

Return to Stick Burners