Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
July 19th, 2019, 9:17 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am building a patio in my backyard in a couple months and I am trying to figure out if I can use my Kingman as a pizza oven. Or if it is better to invest in a pizza oven.

I am thinking the best way may to be to build a fire in the cooking chamber and then place a pizza stone close to it. This way I will be able to get the stone and pizza hotter than having the fire in the fire box. Wonder if anyone has done this before.

Some considerations:
- Will need to remove temperature gauges to not damage them.
- Should I put the fire to the right of the pizza for smoke flow? Or should I do it to the left to limit smoke exposure?
- Any recommendations for a large stone that will fit well in Kingman?
- Should I cook the pizza on the top shelf to be close the top of the smoker and the heat radiating off the steel?

February 24th, 2020, 7:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I had the same idea to do this over the winter for this coming season.

Pizza ovens should run between 750-900F I believe the optimal temperature is 800F. In wood fire pizza ovens the fire climbs up the wall of the oven and that extreme heat cooks the pizza in under 2 minutes.

That temperature will make the paint peel from my experience but the bigger problem is would it damage the smoker or warp it.

It is definitely possible if you build the fire to the far back depending on the distance of the shelves cook the the pizza on the one that doesn't have direct contact with the flame.

The flame should curve with the wall and be just covering a fraction of the pizza and y of your smoker and you may need to rotate your pizza half way through.

As for placement closer to the firebox would be ideal for the short time it's in there that smoke is beneficial for flavour wouldn't want it just escaping.

Hopefully someone can answer if it will affect the metal and best of luck.

Return to Stick Burners