Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder ACS Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 13th, 2023, 12:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have been checking my cooking box temperature with the probe from the Fireboard and comparing it to the Pit temperature. As you can see in the attachment the temperature difference is substantial. With a pit temperature set at 250F the cooking box is 206F. I set the thermocouple at the cooking grate level near the pellet fire.

Seeking advice from Yoder.

Attachments
SmartSelect_20230713_120425_FireBoard.jpg
July 16th, 2023, 6:27 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'd like advice here from Yoder as well. I am cooking 4 racks of ribs today for the first time on my Yoder. I've always done it before on a ceramic smoker with a standalone Fireboard at 225 and been happy with how they turn out. That said, I want to move away from having multiple grills (I have 4) and just rely on the Yoder YS640 but I have noticed significant differences between my set temp vs actual temp.

I started my cook (an hour ago) I used my standalone Fireboard with one probe on the far right-hand side of the upper grate (labeled probe 2), and another probe at the far left-hand side of the lower grate (labeled probe 3). I have the diffuser pulled all the way out.

The temps average roughly 100 degrees off. After letting it settle for an hour, the two probes are 60-75 degrees off.

I realize that this isn't the 4-hour calibration test that Yoder has you do, but it does emulate real-world cooking with a reliable thermometer setup (if not exactly the same).

I want to rely on my Yoder but my smoking temps vary from the set temp by 25-33% at 225.

Is there anyway to reset calibration points?

Attachments
Screenshot_20230716-065749.png
Screenshot 2023-07-16 065540.jpg
PXL_20230716_113115243.jpg
July 16th, 2023, 7:07 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

For the record: 2 hours in and difference remains unchanged about 60-70 degrees

For added info, I added a second temp probe to the top right position and confirmed it is accurate. I did the first with the Yoder's own temp probe ports as well as the port on a Fireboard Spark. Between the 3, there is a 2 degree difference.

The big question is, why is my set temp so different from my actual temp?

Attachments
16895102613045501963405773663532.jpg
July 16th, 2023, 12:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I believe that the probe on the right is at the chimney, which would be by far the hottest area of the grill. All that convection air is being funneled across that point to exit the grill. I use that area for a 'turbo cook' if I want something to cook faster..
Your other probe is close to the meat and may be seeing some residual cooling from the meat temperature. But you would know better if that stabilizes as your cook progresses.
Your damper being all the way out may be another issue. Try moving it in about 6" and see if the temperatures stabilize for you.
If all else fails, there is a procedure for checking your pit temps through Yoder support. I believe the instructions are posted on this forum somewhere.
I am no expert, and maybe I am wrong with the above, but I know for me I am willing to look at all possibilities presented from others. Hopefully there will be someone else more knowledgeable chime in with some advice
Good luck. I know I am enjoying my Yoder

Return to ACS Pellet