Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder ACS Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 5th, 2020, 7:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi guys, first time poster, looking to break in my yoder ys 640 comp smoker in the next few days. here are my questions

1- how much do you fill the pellet hopper with your cooks? is it solely based on how much time you anticipate your cook to take? Also lets say your cook is done and you have left over pellets in the hopper? Can you leave them in there or do you have to clean them out after each cook? And then are those pellets still good to use for future cooks?

2- how often do you fully clean your smoker?

3- is there any science to mixing pellet flavors or just fill the hopper with half of one flavor and half of another.

4-what accessories did you get for your smoker?

thanks

September 6th, 2020, 4:53 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

There are really only two reasons to not fill the hopper most of the way up. 1) the threat of a damper fire and 2) the fear of getting wet pellets.
If you do not keep your pit uncovered or out in the elements there is no reason to get wet pellets and if you keep your pit clean and do not cook on high heat with lots of splatter there should be less chance of a hopper fire. Once however you have had a fire, you may be like me and try to always start with what you think is enough for the duration of the cook and a little left over for the startup of the next cook.

I usually deep clean once or twice a year but try to stay on top of the build up with intermittent scraping...but of course always vacuuming and surface cleaning.

I have a big container with lid that I use for mixing pellets. I cook a lot of pork so like maple or a maple mix. I stay away from what I feel are the harsher pellets...Hickory, mesquite etc. But remember its all what you like. Some like to use apple or cherry for fish. Personally I stay with the maple or maple/pecan.

The grill grates, 2 piece diffuser, thermapen come in handy. I like a cedar slab for cooking fish (don't forget to soak) and also use a good pizza stone and steel slab for cooking pizza's. I also keep my thermal jacket on pretty much all year round even though we are fairly temperate here near Seattle.

September 11th, 2020, 4:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

awesome thanks for the info much appreciated

Return to ACS Pellet