Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder ACS Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 19th, 2019, 6:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I spent all day doing temp tests and calibrating.

This was all done at 250º on my new YS640s. I have the new 2 piece heat diffuser.

I tried to attach the excel file as a template for anyone wanting to use it for their own test, but it said excel files weren't allowed?

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.22.16 PM.png
Screen shot of Excel Spreadsheet Temp Test

The grill was spot on by the way.

I need to redo the temp test with the calibration, but not today.

During this process, I did several test moving the VDD in and out, and found it no matter what position it was in, it made very little difference on grate temp as measured across different points on the grate surface.

Does moving the VDD in and out make more of difference when using higher temps? According to the literature the VDD can be pushed all the way in for using direct grilling / searing / etc.

Just wondering if anyone has found that moving the VDD around in a particular senecio makes much of difference?

August 19th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
August 19th, 2019, 6:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks, don't think I have seen that document yet.

August 19th, 2019, 6:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just a suggestion, but maybe include that info in the manual? I spent a lot of time and fuel messing with that VDD today. Wish I would have known that it has a negligible difference.

The only thing I could find before you shared that PDF was the info about 5-6" in and all the way in for direct grilling.

When it says "All the way in for direct grilling, but you must remove the heat diffuser..." is it talking about the 1 piece diffuser only, or does this include the 2 piece heat diffuser as well?

August 19th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

For direct grilling, remove the diffuser (or door in the 2 piece diffuser) and install the optional grill grates.

Here are all the best practices: http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewt ... f=49&t=154

Yoder_Herb
August 19th, 2019, 7:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:For direct grilling, remove the diffuser (or door in the 2 piece diffuser) and install the optional grill grates.

Here are all the best practices: http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewt ... f=49&t=154

I’m clear on the above. Mostly. I think I remember seeing you say it somewhere else, but I can’t find it now.

SO as long as we have the two piece heat diffuser we can always leave it in (removing the door of course) not matter what temperature we want to use?

i.e. there is not limitation on the 2 piece diffuser with the door removed?

August 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Return to ACS Pellet