February 3rd, 2016, 12:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am considering purchasing a 480 or 640 Yoder. Has anyone attempted to cold smoke salmon on one of these units and if so how did you arrange the ice cubes in the unit.

thanks so much

February 3rd, 2016, 1:09 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The cooker(s) have the ability to run at 150 degrees, but in most cases, this is not considered cold smoking. I have never personally attempted to cold smoke any meat, as there is a danger of bacteria contamination. Complete curing of the meat may minimize this threat, but I am not an expert in the curing process, and don't want to personally take a chance on making anyone sick, especially myself.

Here is my process for salmon: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235 This process flash cures the outside of the salmon, and requires cooking. The longer you leave the salmon in the brine, the more thoroughly the salmon is cured. If you leave it in the brine for days, you will end up with more of a true LOX type end product, where the salmon is cured all the way through. But again, I am no expert, and would personally still cook it to 145 internal.

Yoder_Herb
February 3rd, 2016, 1:23 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks so much for this information. My current smoker allows me to cook the salmon with a pan of ice cubes above the heater in order to get the temperature down to around 145 degree for an hour or so until the fish is done. I also follow the brining instuctions you have provided. Great to hear the Yoder can go that low in temperature.

April 2nd, 2016, 2:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm going to attempt a cold smoke with some salmon bellies. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be in the low 40's here in the ATL. This may help keep the temp in the smoker down for the initial cooler temp. Will attempt the 2-2-2 method. 2hrs at 120, 2hrs at 140 and finally 2hrs at 160. We'll see how it goes.

Using a YS640. I will try with the damper fully closed and the fish closer to the stack.

April 3rd, 2016, 6:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I followed the directions given by Yoder_Herb here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235

I learned a few things on the smoke that will come in handy next time.
Pay closer attention to the recepie. I goofed and did 3 parts brown sugar and 1 part of kosher salt.
Brined the salmon overnight, maybe 10 hrs. Way too much. Salmon came out very salty. Luckily, I forgot to skin out one package of bellies. Those brined only an hour and were not as salty.
Bellies are much thinner than steaks. They need minimal brine and are cooked through quickly. I did 2 hrs at 150 once I realized I wasn't going to be able to do the 2-2-2 method.
The thicker pieces were still moist but the thinner ones were like jerky in doneness and saltieness.
Couldn't get the smoker lower than 150 so I abandoned the 2-2-2 method and just smoked for about 2 hours. Could have done even less...maybe 1.5 hrs.
Next time I'll try it with a few steaks, the correct ratio of salt and brown sugar.

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks