January 1st, 2016, 9:48 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all. Smoked pork loin last nite in 15 degree weather. Couldn't get pit temp up to even 200 degrees. Used b&b lump and very good seasoned oak. Intake and exhaust both wide open. Did notice quite bit smoke leaking around lid. Just got smoker in feb. Have used bout 6 times and have always had problem getting pit up to temp. Any help is appreciated

January 2nd, 2016, 9:14 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Have you watched this video? viewtopic.php?f=49&t=132

Yoder_Herb
January 3rd, 2016, 3:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Watched shortly after I posted this. Lots of good info. Also fully cleaned my smoker and going to re season it before next use. Don't think I had a very good base of coals and was using too much wood to get temp up. Lots of learning to do=smoking lots more meat!!!!

January 5th, 2016, 3:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jasoniggy, I too have a Cheyenne. I live in the middle of OH and cook regularly throughout the winter. So far I have had great success with mimicking the video Herb linked in. Granted with a Cheyenne two full lit loads is a bit much, I use one full chimney full of lump. I keep a good hot fire for the whole cook, I have noticed in warmer weather I can add more lump 2.5 hours-ish, and when its bitter cold its every around 1.5 hours each time. I don’t go crazy, maybe a handful or so…. If I use too much along with the split my Cheyenne stays too hot.

Hope this helps.

January 5th, 2016, 7:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What r u using for lump. I can only find Frontier at lowes and b&b at menards. Not having very good luck with b&b lighting easy

January 5th, 2016, 8:05 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Sphiinx, yes one load of lump would be all you need. That video was with a Kingman with a square firebox, so there is a lot more real estate to heat up on that cooker vs yours.

Jason, I have used many brands of lump, almost two dozen and all will work for an offset. Some brands that are more dense will burn longer, some brands that are more lightweight will not last very long. The B&B that I have used is dense, so it is harder to light, yes. But once it is lit, you will get a long and consistent burn. Use a chimney to light it, or use your propane log lighter if you got one with your cooker. If you use a chimney you may have to use wax/paper/etc twice to get it to light fully, but it will be a good lump for a coal bed in an offset.

January 5th, 2016, 9:46 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Finally got the b&b to light in chimney starter. After bout 30 min was good hot coals. Have propane torch to light also. Re seasoning smoker tonight. Is bout 25 degrees outside. Have inlet half open and exhaust full open. Heat management plate on and temp is only at 150 exhaust. 2 splits seasoned oak on. Good clean smoke just can't get temp higher. Just added another handful lump and got 2 splits warming now.

January 6th, 2016, 7:06 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jason, my suggestion would be to leave the inlet wide open until you pass your temp mark, or at least until its getting near the temp mark then start easing off the O2. I even leave my inlet door open while I am getting the initial burn started. If I stick 2 splits plus lit lump... I'd bust 350 no problem. Got to get the chamber heated up, especially in the cold. It’s a must. (From my little bit of experience)

January 6th, 2016, 4:47 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

It is a best practice to always allow your cooker to heat up past the desired cooking temperature, and then dial the cooking temperature in. This allows the entire metal mass of the cooker to heat up evenly, before, you start the cooking session. This allows the cooker's heat to be much more consistent.

Yoder_Herb
January 6th, 2016, 6:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for all the input. Going to also get a new digital therm as mine quit working. My Temps posted were what therm in lid was reading so I'm sure temp down at grill level higher. What digital therms do u suggest. Had redicheck single probe but want either 2 or 4 probe

January 6th, 2016, 8:27 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I like the igrill2. Two probes in the kit, accepts up to four. I have the optional ambient probe that mounts on the grate and gives you an extremely accurate reading of the temp at the grates. It's Bluetooth though so range is always a bit of an issue but my YS640 is on my patio and I can drink a beer in the basement with no issues.

I also use the unit inside when cooking in the oven.

I have read good things about the Tapecue but have no hands on experience with it, but it is wifi so range would be no issue in most situations.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
January 7th, 2016, 7:42 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I too use an Igrill2. Love the unit... had some really great customer service too. I was having a ghost probe show up... say i would only have 2 probes in, and every now and then a 4th would show up on the app on my phone. I sent them an email and a picture, within 24 hours they replied with verifying my address to send out a new unit free of charge (they just wanted the old one back).

I also have used Mavirks. I had the unit prior to the new bluetooth one. It was great but 1 food 1 ambiant probe. Igrill having 4 ports is much nicer... specially when your cooking different meats or different sized meats.

The app is great, depending on how much you want to use it... meaning, I always use the app... but only half the time do I set up the extras, alarms for temp ranges and stuff. But it does do high and low range, you can label the probes, timers...ect.

January 8th, 2016, 12:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Does the igrill2 2ork with android or is it only available for iphones. Trying to decide between this and maverick

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks