December 3rd, 2015, 8:10 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Does anyone suggest a water pan in a stick burner smoker? If so what about placement and what type of vessel do you keep it in?

December 3rd, 2015, 9:58 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Many of the pros on this site don't use them, but I do. I figure if I'm smoking a $65 brisket, a little extra moisture in the chamber is a good thing. I have seen water pans on a few of the pitmaster TV shows in the offset smokers, I think it's one of the untold secrets.

I usually fill an old bread pan or a 9x13 aluminum cake pan. On the long brisket
smokes or pork butts, it's necessary to refill the pan at least once. I place it close to the fire box
Where the smoker is the hottest.

Hope this helps. Mike

December 3rd, 2015, 10:58 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Just like anything in barbecue, everyone has their method they prefer and think is the "secret". What works for one cook may not work for another. So the only thing to do is try it and see what YOU think. . I used to do it, but I haven't in years though. I don't because there is moisture in the wood being burned and if your cooking chamber gets too humid, you can run into an issue where the bark on the meat won't set right and stay mushy. I'm very much a keep it simple cook and it yields great results for me, so it's what I stick with. If I try too much and have a lot going on (this applies to many areas of a cook for me) the end product usually suffers. I know my strengths and preferences and I go with that. But I had to learn what those were by years of trial and error and yes, even screwing up some meat in the process.

December 4th, 2015, 7:38 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the input, I am coming from a bullit smoker... So I know what you mean about too much humidity, there would be times I'd cook with an empty water pan. I'll probably try both and run tests.

I read somewhere, may have been here... Does anyone put foil down in the bottom of the chamber for easier clean up?

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks