August 31st, 2015, 5:16 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So planning on cooking half a baby goat along with a few other things in my YS640.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if so what method would be best.

Goat meat is usually a bit leaner that lamb so thinking a low heat with lots of moisture should keep it from drying out.

September 1st, 2015, 6:05 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Cook like a pig I guess. Different. Best bet is to research the web. Not much goat discussed in the forums I frequent. Shouldn't it be a nice young sheep maybe?

Cook for two hours, have a spritz with flavor in the spritz and some veggie oil shaken then sprayed every hour?

Water pan on top grate?

Geeze? Goat? I'd eat it never tried it.

September 1st, 2015, 1:06 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Most of the goat I've seen cooked is either in a barbacoa pit over a pot of stock that ends up as a soup or rice dish, or roasted over direct coals often basted to add moisture. In both cases the steam or basting looks to help with the lean meat that can dry easily. Never done it my self, but would love to see some examples of it done on a pit.

Research cabrito barbacoa. Don't necessarily have to use the same seasoning, but adapting the method should produce some good results.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Always looking to try something new.

Durango 24
September 3rd, 2015, 6:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

ok thanks.

I was thinking of marinating it in some red wine overnight then letting it cook in an aluminium service tray on the bottom shelf for the entire cook.

Thinking about just chopping up a lot of onions and laying the half goat on top of that.

I'm picking up the meat tonight so will work out the logistics when i see how big the piece is

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks