March 12th, 2015, 2:38 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So I've got a a 1.7kg Oyster blade roast I bought from Sardes at VIC Market today and was wondering if anyone can recommend what do do with it?

I was thinking of some of the following:

- Season the whole roast up with some spices and try low and slow
- Cut into blade steaks and just sear
- Cut straight down the middle and do some flat iron steaks.

Never tried any of the three with oyster blade so open to any suggestions.

P.S. Forgot to mention I'm happy to vacuum seal some of it for another day and do a few different things to it.

March 13th, 2015, 12:21 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You have us at a disadvantage, as we do not have the same cuts of meat as you do in Australia. This cut of meat in the USA is normally ground into hamburger, but recently has become popular with upscale restaurants when cut into flat iron steaks.

If you cook the whole chunk, low and slow would be the way.

Not sure about cutting it directly into steaks, as there are 2 muscles that have differing grains.

If you cut it into flat iron steaks, you need to separate the 2 muscles, and remove all of the connective tissue and silver skin that is between them.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Yoder_Herb
March 13th, 2015, 12:27 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey BBG - I've never cooked a whole one, but do have experience with the steaks. IMO, cooked whole or as thick cut steaks it would be best done with a reverse sear - to medium rare. The whole roast, once cooked I would slice thin and serve as roast beef. If I cut it into steaks first, I would cut them 1 1/2 - 2" thick as that works best with reverse sear.

If I wanted to just sear and serve, I would cut the steaks a little thinner and blast 2 - 3 minutes per side and let rest for 5 plus minutes with a nob of butter on top.

Durango 24
March 13th, 2015, 12:30 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Not sure about cutting it directly into steaks, as there are 2 muscles that have differing grains.

If you cut it into flat iron steaks, you need to separate the 2 muscles, and remove all of the connective tissue and silver skin that is between them.

Good point - I forgot about the dog chew hidden in the middle of the steak. :)

Durango 24
March 13th, 2015, 4:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:You have us at a disadvantage, as we do not have the same cuts of meat as you do in Australia. This cut of meat in the USA is normally ground into hamburger, but recently has become popular with upscale restaurants when cut into flat iron steaks.

If you cook the whole chunk, low and slow would be the way.

Not sure about cutting it directly into steaks, as there are 2 muscles that have differing grains.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

I decided to go with some flat iron steaks, did exactly as you suggested and got rid of all the connective tissue as best i could.

Just waiting for the afternoon comes around before i coat with tatonka dust and check them on the grill grates.

Wish me luck!

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks