February 22nd, 2015, 12:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Proud owner of a YS480. On my first run I did a few racks of back backs and they turned out amazing with a nice deep pink smoke ring. I also had a decent amount of the nice blue smoke we all like. I've used about 10 times since and just can't seam to get the same amount of smoke and good deep smoke ring.

I watch quite a few videos from malcom reed and he uses a YS 480. I follow his recipes to a tee and don't get no where near the same amount of smoke his puts off and no where near the deep pink smoke ring he gets. I'm lucky for the ring to be 1/8" deep and his looks like it's 3/8" to maybe even 1/2".

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

February 22nd, 2015, 1:44 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I think meat only takes smoke up to a certain temp,,, so starting with well chilled meat helps a bunch to get a deeper ring...
seen where they ice turkey breasts for a time prior to smoking to get deeper smoke ring...
also the "A-maze-n Tube Smoker" will add smoke...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
February 22nd, 2015, 3:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok, thanks, that's good info. I do have an amazing smoke tube, they actually work really well.

February 22nd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Use cherry wood pellets. I cook with a 50/50 mix of BBQr's Delight pecan and cherry pellets.

Yoder_Herb
February 22nd, 2015, 4:47 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

THUMPERRRR wrote:I think meat only takes smoke up to a certain temp,,, so starting with well chilled meat helps a bunch to get a deeper ring...
seen where they ice turkey breasts for a time prior to smoking to get deeper smoke ring...
also the "A-maze-n Tube Smoker" will add smoke...

The reason I've always known for icing a turkey breast is so it starts at a lower temp than the dark meat, so it won't get over cooked and dried out if the bird is cooked whole. I'm not sure how much of an affect it would have on the smoke ring or not.

Either way, I know a smoke ring can look impressive, but if it tastes good, that's all that matters. The smoke ring is NOT directly proportional to smoke flavor.

February 22nd, 2015, 5:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Gents.

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks