January 9th, 2015, 10:00 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hi All,

Me and my adult siblings are cooking a meal for my parents this Sunday.

along side a salmon were planning a small prime rib roast

I have never cooked a prime rib roast and would love any tips and pointers.
using my ys640

Im planning on stopping by the butchers tomorrow and getting a small 2 bone roast? Guessing like 3lbs?

fire away

January 9th, 2015, 12:43 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Top shelf at 225 until internal temperature is 130, loosely tent for 15 minutes. End result should be medium rare.

Yoder_Herb
January 9th, 2015, 1:45 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Cool thanks for the input

Whats a rough timeline for a rib roast?

Also any reason why the top shelf?

January 9th, 2015, 2:19 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I think a good guess would be 20 minutes to the pound, but time doesn't matter, the internal temperature does. Always cook to the internal temperature, this is the only real way to know when something has finished cooking to your liking. Expect a 3 to 5 degree residual cook once the meat has been removed from the cooker and is tented and resting.

My personal preference is to always remove the bones, and cook the ribs separately, as my wife loves them. Removing the bones also allows a crust over the entire roast. I always tie the roast with butcher string to hold the roast together and to compress the meat for more even cooking. I like to cook the roast on the top shelf to get it further away from the direct heat of the heat diffuser plate, so that the roast slowly cooks more evenly without having to flip or rotate.

Some butchers will cut the bones off for you, and then tie them back on for cooking, so that it is easier for you to remove them from the roast. some will partially cut the ribs off, leaving a small portion attached that you will have to finish cutting through when serving. If you like to eat the ribs like my wife does, our personal preference is to cook them until super tender, which takes much longer than the roast will take to cook, as she likes them almost falling off the bones.

Yoder_Herb
January 9th, 2015, 9:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Top shelf at 225 until internal temperature is 130, loosely tent for 15 minutes. End result should be medium rare.

I just cooked one this way and it came out great!

January 10th, 2015, 12:17 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Thanks guys.

Picked it up today. Just under 4lb 2 bone roast bones in. I'm guessing i should plan on it taking 2 hrs? Less seems really short...but it is my first time...been doing too many pork butts haha

January 10th, 2015, 10:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

jeetS wrote:Thanks guys.

Picked it up today. Just under 4lb 2 bone roast bones in. I'm guessing i should plan on it taking 2 hrs? Less seems really short...but it is my first time...been doing too many pork butts haha

Sounds about right, just keep an close eye on your internal temp.
Good luck it will be great!

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks