October 12th, 2014, 6:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *
  • Location: Mile High, waiting patiently for my YS640 Comp Cart :)

Looking for input on cooking BB ribs. Temp, foil, no foil, spray or no spray?
This will be my first cook on a pellet smoker, maybe third cook on a smoker so I'm still wet behind the ears. :lol:

Thanks Matt

Anxiously waiting my new YS640 Silver Comp cart
October 12th, 2014, 9:57 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I like my ribs simple, salt and pepper. That's a good way to start too so you get a good baseline of the meat, and don't have a rub that could throw things for a loop. I remove the membrane, fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt each side, and smoke, no foil, until they pass the bend test. That means they bend and just barely start to break apart when they are done. I test this with baby backs rib side up if it is a thick rack, and bone side down if it is thinner or with a rack of spare ribs.

October 12th, 2014, 10:13 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *
  • Location: Mile High, waiting patiently for my YS640 Comp Cart :)

Thanks Kirby, what temp are you cooking them at?

Anxiously waiting my new YS640 Silver Comp cart
October 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

It depends on my mood really. Anywhere between 225 & 275, but typically 225. 225 takes more time to cook, but it allows you to catch the ribs at the right point since they cook slower. The faster you cook, the smaller the window is to catch where proper doneness is. You don't want them falling off of the bone, just to the point to where the meat will move independently of the bone, but not just fall apart.

November 19th, 2014, 4:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I rub them, then smoke on my Wichita for about two hours at 225. Then I wrap in foil, adding some capt Morgan black rum. Let the ribs bake in the rum for two more hours. Then I move to the grill, brush with sweet baby rays, and let the sauce carmelize. Each time I can't help yell have mercy! When I take a bite.

Yoder Loaded Wichita, pile of wood, matches.

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks