April 25th, 2017, 11:18 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

DOing some steaks and some salmon. this is the first time will be using my grill grates. They will be on the left side for steaks then was going to do salmon on the right side any recommendations for doing this and in particular doing these 2 things at the same time?

thanks

April 25th, 2017, 11:31 am
Site AdminSite Admin

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1386

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=620

I have never done them together, but if I had to, I would put the salmon on the cooker during the smoking portion of the reverse sear for the steak.

Yoder_Herb
April 25th, 2017, 1:19 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I too cannot say I have ever done both salmon and steak at the same time so it might be a little difficult to time them both. When cooking steak I usually use my grill grates flat side up as I find cleaning the other side afterwards way too difficult. I actually cooked some filet's last night. Very thick (3-4"). I start just off just to the right of the third grate (at 375 degrees), rotate and turn once until inside temp reaches approx 95 degrees...then put on the grill grates and jack up the temp to about 450. Hope to turn only once but gotta makes sure they're not over charred. I pull at 125 -140 depending on how people like their steak. Usually about 3 minutes per side and on thick steaks I sometimes do the sides for 30 seconds.

I'm in salmon country here near Seattle. I personally like to use a thick cedar plank (soaked for two hours)and cooked slow on the upper rack. If I was to try both I would get the salmon started way before and pull (while a little under done)to a warm oven as the steak should only take a short time. Thermapen is your friend!

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks