September 4th, 2016, 11:52 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What is the best way to clean second she on YS 640? High heat or a non abrasive cleaner?
Thanks

September 4th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If I feel OCD enough to really clean them, I soak them in a solution of water and simple green.

Normally, I heat the cooker to 350 before each cook, use a brush to knock off the top and bottom sides of the upper grate, then wipe it down with paper towels until all the oily residue is gone, then put the meat on to cook.

Some owners are super OCD and use a grinder with a wire wheel to clean them. All personal choice, but, when cleaning them so well, you need to immediately re-season them so they don't rust.

Yoder_Herb
September 5th, 2016, 6:38 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for suggestion.

October 15th, 2016, 10:36 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I power wash mine. I read somewhere on this forum about "seasoning" the rack. I generally don't have stuff that sticks to the point power washer won't clean it off. Of course I just love the fact the 4 piece lower grates go in dishwasher! Thanks Yoder!

October 15th, 2016, 11:23 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The lower 4 piece grates are chrome, and probably not be put in the dishwasher. All I ever do is scrape the surfaces (top and bottom on the upper grate) and then just before putting meat on, I wipe the dark colored oil off the grate surfaces with paper towels.

If you power wash or soak, or ?? to clean the grates, you must re-season the grates, or you risk rusting.

Yoder_Herb
October 15th, 2016, 5:03 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

The top shelves I periodically scrub the heck out of them with a wire brush. I get all I can. I then give them a wash in soapy water and a good stiff bristle brush. Then I spray in PAM and put in the smoker on a cook. Then I take them out and put them in my cabinet. Yes, since they sit sideways up I have a old towel to collect the drippings.

That's only when I do a BUNCH of greasy top rack cooking's where the meat bits are rally thick and caked. Otherwise, they stay in my smoker and they get a wire brush scrub and a wink.

October 16th, 2016, 11:56 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Yoder_Herb wrote:The lower 4 piece grates are chrome, and probably not be put in the dishwasher. All I ever do is scrape the surfaces (top and bottom on the upper grate) and then just before putting meat on, I wipe the dark colored oil off the grate surfaces with paper towels.

If you power wash or soak, or ?? to clean the grates, you must re-season the grates, or you risk rusting.

Yep I give them a good rub down with vegetable oil

Return to Cooking Questions, Tips and Tricks