What would you like to see on the forum? Got an idea? Need a product that Yoder currently doesn't produce? Here is a place for your voice to be heard.
November 27th, 2014, 11:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Has anyone cooked a turkey and brisket at the same time?

November 28th, 2014, 12:25 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I have done lots of different meats at the same time. My experience is that low and slow poultry is OK, but the skin will be like rubber. If you are not careful you can also end up with very dry poultry meat.

I have not personally cooked a brisket hot and fast, but there are those that do, and they seem to like the results.

Just my opinion, but I suggest cooking poultry at a minimum of 275 (I normally cook them at 325), and cook brisket at 225 to 250 (I cook them at 225). If I was going to try to cook a brisket and a turkey at the same time, I would probably settle on 275 degrees. The turkey would be done long before the brisket.

Remember the safety rule of never cooking poultry above anything but poultry.

Yoder_Herb
November 28th, 2014, 2:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

If I cooked the brisket on the top shelf (my thought was to start the brisket about 4 hrs before the turkey). Start out with brisket on top shelf with ys640 at 275 then after 4 hrs add the turkey to the bottom shelf. Any thoughts.

November 28th, 2014, 2:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

That would be a great plan of attack. If you are attempting to time the completion of both items at the same time, remember that the brisket should rest for at least an hour (longer can be better) before you cut it. So taking this into consideration you may be able to time the turkey to have the brisket come off and then up the temp to 325 to finish the turkey. Of course this all depends on the size and weight of each item, and that with the brisket, it isn't done when it reaches a specific temperature, but rather when it feels done when probed.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Yoder Community Town Hall