Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
March 21st, 2016, 11:02 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I recently got the YS640 with competition cart, and it is so fun to see what I can cook. I started with a pork butt and it was awesome. Then we did ribs and again amazing. This past weekend, my neighbor and I did some beef jerky with top round. I must say the Yoder made is so easy and knocked it out of the park with flavor. I have 3 sons and they went crazy for it. Thanks Yoder! Can't wait for this coming weekend.

Attachments
jerky.JPG
March 21st, 2016, 11:40 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard! Looks really good.

Yoder_Herb
March 21st, 2016, 12:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Welcome Kyle,

I'm just up the road in Brentwood TN. I too have a YS640 and have been quite happy with it. Seems like I make more jerky then anything else.

Enjoy.

Robert.

March 21st, 2016, 1:04 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey...just thinking this morning about doing some Jerky. Either of you want to share your recipe and pics?

March 21st, 2016, 5:49 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining the group!

March 21st, 2016, 7:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Here you go Wessthemess,

The recipe is called High Plains Jerky and is on several websites. It has been my goto for the past several years. Never seems to turn out the same way twice for me. Sometimes more sweet, sometimes more pepper. Probably has to do with me playing around with the ratio of brown sugar and black pepper. :lol: But it is always good! I usually use London Broil but recently I have been experimenting with other lean cuts.

High Plains Jerky

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound top round steak
Jerky Marinade:
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground dried red chile, New Mex -- or Ancho
1 teaspoon onion powder

IMG_2593.JPG.jpeg

I usually double this recipe.

Tom Jackson of ATBBQ recently posted on "the sauce" a video making some jerky on the YS640. Good video as it shows the YS640 in action.

Hope you enjoy.

March 22nd, 2016, 10:36 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Looks familiar. I have never tried this one but think I remember it by name. Thanks for taking the time to respond. By the way what temp and how long to get to your desired consistency?

March 22nd, 2016, 7:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Typically I do a 2 lbs batch and it all fits on the upper rack. With that I set the temp to 190°F. It usually takes about 2-2.5 hours to get the jerky looking dry but still pliable. I have left it on too long and it becomes bitter and crumbly. I start checking at around 2 hours. Speaking of bitter tasting, I like to use BBQ Delight Cherry. I have used Hickory but it I think it imparts too much smoke and is a little bitter. By the way, I set at 190°F because I have found that to be a good compromise on time, dryness and smoke. I have done as low as 160°F but it takes longer and has a more pronounced smoke flavor which distracts from the marinade flavor I enjoy. I have cut the meat as thick as 1/4" and and thin as 1/8" inch. Having said that, 3/16" is my new go to thickness. Too thick and the texture is too chewy and to thin it is difficult to get pliable. I cut against the grain. I have cut by hand and machine. My grocery stores look at me funny when I ask them to cut it so I usually just partially freeze and use my carver.

Oh one last note using BBQ Delight Cherry I get a rock solid temps with almost no swing. Pretty impressive at that low of temp.

That pretty much sums up my jerky knowledge. Thanks for reading.

March 23rd, 2016, 10:53 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Thanks again Robert. I have only made Jerky once and did cook it at...if I remember right 170. I might have left it in too long as it did get a little dryer than I would have liked. I used Maple and was happy with the flavor. Guess I'll try raising the temp.

Return to Introduce Yourself