Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
January 17th, 2016, 2:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Well I just ordered my first Yoder, a YS1500 on an orange cart (also got the cover for it). I've been smoking for 8 - 9 years on my Traeger lil' tex elite. I have enjoyed my Traeger but my wife has been pushing me to try doing competition cooking, I've been thinking about trying competition cooking for quite some time now but I knew I could never do it on my Traeger.

I got a couple of questions for you:
- Well I'm in central Canada, so how does the YS1500 handle the cold temps? Currently -23C and with the windchill -33C. I have cooked in this cold before with my Traeger I just throw an old blanket over top the main barrel and it works great. Any suggestions for cold weather cooks? Does anyone have a pre made blanket for these?
- How's the cleanup on the YS1500, I noticed that there isn't a drip tray under the grates.
- Has anyone bought the grill grates for the YS1500? If so how do they work? I haven't bought them yet.

Thanks everyone,
Jason

January 17th, 2016, 3:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Anything your Traeger could do, your new Yoder will do twice as well. I am also new to the forum, but have had my Yoder since September, when it got colder at night, I was using a lot of pellets. Then installed the insulated jacket and use less than half. I live in North Dakota and have seared steak at 550 degrees at 0 F. This was on grill grates. We love steaks on the Yoder. Only room to sear 2 to 3 steaks at a time then move over to right to finish. Has not been a problem smoking at 250F to below zero.

Yoder doesn't yet make a thermal jacket for your 1500. I've read most people buy a welding blanket which works well.

January 17th, 2016, 3:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the reply, just got word that the new addition will be here next weekend. I have already looked into the welding blanket and I'll pick one up this week. Looking forward to starting it up this coming weekend! Now what to cook, pulled pork, a brisket, ribs hmmm maybe all 3.

January 17th, 2016, 7:40 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

How well does the thermal blanket work? $250 is pricey and you say it'll save on pellets.... What should I expect?

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
January 17th, 2016, 8:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Of course, I'm speculating, but after installing the insulated jacket, my pellet usage went down by half when the temps went down to freezing or a windy day.

January 17th, 2016, 8:41 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining the group!

February 11th, 2016, 2:27 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Welcome to the group! And the Yoder Family!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts

Return to Introduce Yourself