Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
December 2nd, 2015, 9:37 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello Yoder Community,

My name is Aaron and I am originally from NC. I currently live in Columbus OH where evidently if you want good Q you have to make it yourself. I have cooked on Weber Bullet for the last 5 or 6 years and figured it was time to upgrade. I am awaiting the delivery of my first Offset, Yoder Cheyenne. I am very anxious but in the mean time I am trying to procure a wood source, aside of craigslist any suggestions? I also just finished reading Aaron Franklin’s BBQ manifesto… very very good book, I would recommend it to all.

I have some questions about burn off and upkeep I have seen and read a few posts on this site as well as from some others. In saying that I have a few other questions to add… from what I gather going through an initial burn off is an obvious start. For the burn off I have seen a few oils listed as a go-to for this… I am assuming any oil that has a high burn temp is preferred regardless what route you go. After each cook do you recoat the interior of the smoker and racks? Do you ever coat the exterior with oil? After a cook, is a steam cleaning preferred (while its still hot)?

Thank you in advance.

Silly question: What are some pit names out there? do ppl still name there pits? (I full intend on it :ugeek: )

December 2nd, 2015, 11:20 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hello and welcome!!
I seasoned my loaded Wichita inside and out with some left over peanut oil, I also used Pam spray for the hard to reach areas. I do spray the outside, fire box also, a few times a year. I treat mine like a cast iron skillet, keep it dry, oiled and covered when not being used.
I usually only wire brush the grates after it reaches temp to clean it before putting on the meat. I did use a puddy knife once to clean off the heat management plate. Hope this help a little.

December 3rd, 2015, 6:43 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you for the information MikesYS!

December 3rd, 2015, 9:57 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Yoder_Herb
December 3rd, 2015, 11:23 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining the group!

December 8th, 2015, 10:39 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you, and for the record... my Cheyenne gets delivered tomorrow :) What a great time to get a new smoker... still plenty of football games going on to break it in.

December 11th, 2015, 3:50 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Welcome to the group!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts

Return to Introduce Yourself