Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
November 20th, 2015, 12:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello, I am jkrupp and I am currently in N. California but I claim Idaho as my home. I recently purchased a Durango 20 and I am looking for help. I have been playing with the fire in the Durango and it seems I can get good temperature in either the vertical or horizontal sections, but not both. When I keep the horizontal section in the smoking temp range the vertical section doesn't warm past 125 and almost rains in the back end, resulting in water continuously running out of the vertical door. I know I am doing something wrong and welcome all suggestions!

Thanks,

jkrupp

November 20th, 2015, 5:04 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

There will be a 75 +/- difference between the horizontal and the vertical chambers, with the horizontal being the hotter. This temperature difference is normal. You need to use this temperature differential to your advantage when cooking, to utilize the chambers for differing meats, cooked at different temperatures.

Yoder_Herb
November 20th, 2015, 5:55 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

What is your target smoking temp in the horizontal section?

Consider controlling your temp based on the size of your fire and keeping your vents completely open.

I get some moisture from the vertical door as well, it does tighten some with use.

Durango 24
November 21st, 2015, 10:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am targeting 250F for my cooking temp. A very hot small fire is working better but I still get about 110F differential across the unit. This differential seems to give me a lot of options.

Return to Introduce Yourself