Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
August 26th, 2015, 11:38 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I've been doing some serious research on my next grill purchase. I'm happy to say that my new purchase will be the Cheyenne 16" or 20" upon completion of my 9 month deployment in the serving the Navy. I've been a serious smoker for years and ready to take the next step with a serious grill. I really need to know if the 4 inch difference is that significant between the 16" and the 20". I know the price is. I plan on doing pork shoulders and briskets, for family and the occasional get togethers. Please advise.

August 26th, 2015, 11:47 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining the group and thank you for your service!

I personally prefer a 20" or 24" pit, but that's my preference. Get what you want based on your needs, but do look ahead. If you plan on cooking anything larger than a small get together, the Wichita would be a good route for small cooks and some extra room for larger cooks if needed. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure some of the Cheyenne and Wichita owners will chime in.

August 26th, 2015, 1:33 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Welcome from the NW. Bigger is always better ;)

Assuming you are looking at the difference between the Cheyenne and Wichita. The weight difference isn't significant enough to change the portability/ability to easily move. So it really comes down to are you going to take advantage of the 2nd shelf option on the 20" Wichita. The 703 vs 1093 sq inches of cooking space will make a difference if you are cooking more than one meat or for a crowed.

In any case, consider taking advantage of the heat management plate. IMO even more important in the smaller pits.

Good luck in your choice, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you for your service.

Durango 24
August 26th, 2015, 1:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
August 27th, 2015, 10:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I served ten years in the Navy myself...hope your deployment ends on time! As far as the smoker, I asked the same question and decided to go with the loaded Wichita and love it...either way. Get the heat management plate!!!!

Yoder Loaded Wichita, pile of wood, matches.
September 3rd, 2015, 10:41 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Welcome to the group! And Thank You for your service!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts

Return to Introduce Yourself